Not able to get MacBook Pro 15 Mini DVI to BENQ MP727 projector to display

Reaction score
I have a BenQ MP727 Projector and a band new MacBook Pro 15 with the Mini DVI port using a 5M DVI-D cable from the Cable Chick but when I plug it in, it first tries to display in 1080p then it flickers and continues to retry other modes, but never finds the right one, just keeps flickering and searching for a signal. I got it working once, somehow but it didn't keep the settings on reboot.

I'm hoping it's not a hardware problem, I read on this forum that the MP771 wasn't compatible with the Macbook Pro's 15 and 17.

Reaction score
possible solution

1. go to system preferences
2.under hardware click displays
3.detect displays
if this does not work
1.( if you are mirroring your display) make sure the display of internal monitor is at a resolution the projector can use. 640 by 480 should work but it will be very low quality. look in the manual( for the projector) for other resolutions that both the internal screen and projector can use.
2.( if you are using the projector as an extended display) under displays settings check show display in menu bar. then go to the menu bar at the top right side somewhere there should be a monitor looking icon click on it. towards the bottom of the menu there should be a second list of resolutions. set the resolutions to something the projector can use.

you can switch between extended and mirror under arrangement in display settings.

OP
O
Reaction score
Screen flickeres to much to gain access to preferences panel to change settings.

Thing is, with the projector plugged in. I don't get a chance to use keyboard or mouse to get to the detect display button. It just keeps flicking over modes, saying signal detected and flicking back and forth, never syncing up or giving allowing me to access the preferences panel.

I managed to change it over from mirroring once, but it did not remember the settings on reboot and has I have never been able to make it function in DVI mode.

It seems to constantly reset the resolution back to 1280x720p, no matter what I change my MacBook Pro monitor resolution to. Which the projector does not seem to support.

I have tried to close the lid plug in a USb keyboard and then plug in the projector, as suggested when I called Apple Support. I managed to get it working once, but have not been able to reproduce success.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
That particular projector has a native resolution of 1024 x 768 but can support higher. I also noticed that there is no input for VGA, just DVI, composite, S-Video, and HDMI.

If you're getting flickering and the projector keeps changing modes, then the video input is incompatible with what it's expecting. Break out your user manual and try to figure out if there is another method of video input that you can use from your MBP. Normally, I would suggest using your mini display port out to VGA with an adapter.

Regards.

OP
O
Reaction score
Finally got it working only in 1280x720 which is not the MP727's native resolution

Even the native resolution of 1024x768 will not work with the MacBook Pro and BenQ MP727 DVI-D. Bizzarrro!!!

I have found out that the only way to get the MP727 projector to function in DVI mode from a 15" 2009 MacBook Pro 2.8Ghz 4MB Ram with a Apple Mini-DVI to DVI-D converter plug is to:

1. Make sure the projector is off.
2. Plug the projector into the MacBook Pro
3. Goto Display Preferences on the Mac
4. Click Gather Windows.
5. You should see a LCD Screen and a MP727 Display Preferences window
6. On the MP727 Display Preferences "Arrangement" tab, ensure the "Mirror displays" is UNCHECKED
7. On the MP727 Display Preferences the "Display" tab select the 1280x720 display resolution at 60Mhz refresh rate.
8. Switch the projector ON.

This should make the projector work in 1280x720 resolution. Changing the resolution to anything else will not work and you will have to repeat this process again.

viewpic.php

Arrangement Window - View

viewpic.php

Display Window - View

Picture 5.png

Picture 6.png

OP
O
Reaction score
Even the native resolution of 1024x768 will not work with the MacBook Pro and BenQ MP727 DVI-D. Bizzarrro!!!

I have found out that the only way to get the MP727 projector to function in DVI mode from a 15" 2009 MacBook Pro 2.8Ghz 4MB Ram with a Apple Mini-DVI to DVI-D converter plug is to:

1. Make sure the projector is off.
2. Plug the projector into the MacBook Pro
3. Goto Display Preferences on the Mac
4. Click Gather Windows.
5. You should see a LCD Screen and a MP727 Display Preferences window
6. On the MP727 Display Preferences "Arrangement" tab, ensure the "Mirror displays" is UNCHECKED
7. On the MP727 Display Preferences the "Display" tab select the 1280x720 display resolution at 60Mhz refresh rate.
8. Switch the projector ON.

This should make the projector work in 1280x720 resolution. Changing the resolution to anything else will not work and you will have to repeat this process again.

viewpic.php

Arrangement Window - View

viewpic.php

Display Window - View

I'm so glad I wrote this so many years ago. I still have to come back and remember what i did to get my dumb mac working with this dumb projector.

Although I found this works better if you change the projector Mp747 resolution to 1024x768. (Step 7)

Hope this post helps someone - it helps me anyway!

- Brad

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.