Just exchanged my Mac

Reaction score
Hey people. Today, after owning my 17" MacBook Pro for a few months, I went to the store to exchange it for a 15" one because the 17" is just too big and gets way too hot. So now I have a few questions I need answered:
1. I asked for a glossy screen. When I got home and opened the box, I discovered they had given me a matte screen instead. Should I keep this or go back and get a glossy screen? Let me know the benefits and consequences of each.
2. The MBP I got was the highest model, 2.8ghz. Will mine have poor battery life compared to a lower model, or does apple have some way of compensation? If it does have diff battery life, then by how much?
3. What will be faster; the highest Macbook Pro model or the lowest mbp model with an SSD replacing it's hdd?
4. Random question: I got my 32Gb iPhone 3gs close to when they came out and it's battery life is bad. Is this common or not?
I have to know the answers to these questions before tomorrow so help is much appreciated.

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
I would keep the matte screen, because it has better resale value. It cost 50 bucks extra to have matte now.

The benefits are kind of obvious...no glare in direct lighting. >_>"

The battery is the same on all the MBPs now. Battery life is dependent on how it's being used. That's why they have the "*" after 7hr battery life.

SSD is going to be more or less the same on any of the MBPs.

I would say common on the phones battery depending on how it was treated.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Unibody MBP (2009), White MB (2009), iMac G4
I prefer the glossy screen, it just makes colors look much nicer and gives everything a "smooth" feeling. It's entirely subjective though. The bottom line is, you asked for glossy and didn't get what you wanted, so by all means bring it back and exchange it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Macbook Pro 2.66ghz, 4GB DDR3 RAM, 500GB 7200RPM HD
I have glossy on my MBP and really like it.. it's all about preference though I think colors look richer on Glossy but it does suck when you have glare... An SSD will make any of the Macbooks run faster and improve battery life. I ran one in my old macbook and it was pretty sick changed to a 7200 now because I needed more storage space and the SSDs are so expensive to get a lot of storage.

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
I have glossy on my MBP and really like it.. it's all about preference though I think colors look richer on Glossy but it does suck when you have glare... An SSD will make any of the Macbooks run faster and improve battery life. I ran one in my old macbook and it was pretty sick changed to a 7200 now because I needed more storage space and the SSDs are so expensive to get a lot of storage.

That's why you should get a small SSD with the OS and programs installed on the SSD. While everything else should be on a external back up HDD.

For now at least. When the prices on SSD drop then we can have the luxury of big storage.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.