Removing Scratches from Black Macbook Lid

Reaction score
Hello. I've had my macbook for over a year now and had not gotten a single scratch up until today. I had my mac sitting on the top lid while I was looking at my ram. I'm not sure how, but the top lid must have rubbed against the surface of my desk and got a couple scratches. I find this odd because I am constantly moving my macbook back and forth when I am using it and the bottom does not get scratched even in the least. Yet the top lid got scratched from the smallest of maneuvering.

Anyway, to get to the point, has anyone had any success with removing some non-deep scratches from a black macbook using a certain product or method?

Thanks

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Hello. I've had my macbook for over a year now and had not gotten a single scratch up until today.

Anyway, to get to the point, has anyone had any success with removing some non-deep scratches from a black macbook using a certain product or method?

Thanks

I haven't had any success removing scratches...but a good way to avoid them is to purchase a protective sleeve to protect the MacBook case.

I actually bought a protective sleeve for my MBP 2 days after I purchased it.:)

- Nick

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey

As Nick implies, it's difficult to remove scratches from the Polystyrene case of either the black or white MacBook. There are several products that are sold at automotive stores which claim to be able to remove scratches, however, keep in mind that most of those types of products are for use on metallic surfaces.

BTW, Apple is pretty specific with their instructions on how to change out memory. One of the steps they give is to place the computer on a soft surface. :Smirk:

Chalk it up to experience and be careful from now on not to induce any more scratches.

Regards.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MBP C2D 2.8 4GB OS X 10.8 | iPhone 5
I don't have any experience doing this but I suppose you can try if you want. I noticed at most auto parts stores (Autozone for me) when I was wanting to rid of scratches off of my car they had scratch remover for metal and scratch removers for plastic surfaces. If you want you can try to use the plastic scratch remover and cross your fingers. I can say however that the metal scratch remover did wonders so if the plastic one does work you will be very happy. Do this at your own risk though. If the scratches are very minor and don't show white and are just noticeable against light, I would try to find some plastic filler from craft stores maybe or some kind of acrylic filler that will make it look level with the rest of the surface. I think the scratch remover I mentioned will not fill the void but instead make the color match so it will be very difficult to notice the scratch. It's all up to you and like I said I have not tried any of this these are just things I think would have a chance at working and use at your own risk.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.