Wireless Internet WEP key hexadecimal Problem

Reaction score
Hi , i am a new Mac user after being faithful to windows since 3.1 i made the change to a Mac Mini :)
Having bought a wireless adapter for it, namely the D-link gdwl-122+, i have had a few problems. I got the mac to recognise the adapter with some help from google
But now i have to enter a wep key for my network. It is a headless pc server with a wep key of 55555555555555555555555555
Stupid i know, someone else chose that! I can get a pc to connect easily by putting this in, but on the mac i cant and it wants a 1-26 key hexadecimal value or a 13 key ascii value.
I used an online converter but they are limited to about 10 numbers, not 26 that i use. Thinking i could see a pattern in how hexadecimal works i thought id try that but i cant see it! Im no mathematician :(
Help me with this so i can go online and ill get rid of the IBM thinkpad im writing this on now :)

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
I don't know if you are going to be able to convert that number to hex. I tried and only abloe to get up to seven numbers. One thing you might try, is to place a dollar sign in front of the string (.i.e $55555555555555555555555555). That might work.

OP
O
Reaction score
thanks for the reply :)

Is there a way of just putting in the wep key as it is? If i select the network as being shared i can put in a wep key but it doesnt seem to do anything
Selecting the normal network options i get the hex thing again

OP
O
Reaction score
Hey, the $ thing looks like it may have done something. Im a bit more connected now. Think thats it.
If it is then thank you very much :)

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
Hopefully you are not on Comcast right now, because we have been having some DNS issues. In the last couple of days.

OP
O
Reaction score
Doh
Ive got the wep key sorted now it wont connect to the windows network. The mac sees the wireless usb as an ethernet port and i dont know how to get it to connect to my network.It knows the network is present but it cant get in since i am not sure how to configure it if it was a wired connection. Read something about apple talk protocol but not sure if thats for older macs only...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 13" | MacBook Pro 13" | Mac Mini 2GHz C2D
are you sharing out any of the folders on the PC? can you see the PC?

OP
O
Reaction score
Tried to ping the server which is 192.168.0.1, also tried to ping it by name 'auriga' and it says the host is down. I just did the ping from my pc laptop and it worked with both.
So i cant see any folders or anything. But it knows its there somewhere since it says network connected. If it was a pc i just keep rebooting til it works but i think im doing something wrong with ip settings and i dont know what to set as the router ip

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
what are you Mac specs and what kind of router are you using

OP
O
Reaction score
Im on a mac mini with 1.4ghz,512mb,superdrive,80gig
Using a wireless usb adapter - D-link dwl-g122+ revision b
PC access point is a d-link 54mbps model

Ip on pc has a manual setting of 192.168.0.1 and is named 'auriga' on workgroup 'HAWARDEN'
Ill try and post screen grabs from the mac

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" 1Ghz PB 768Mb 10.4.5 30Gb Video iPod 40Gb 3G iPod 1Gb iPod Shuffle
you havent forgot to put your MAC address in the allowed field have you i did last time

OP
O
Reaction score
Ah i dont think i have done that. Not sure what MAC address to use tho...
Apart from that this is what i have so far..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
the only thing i can think of is to go into the router settings and check that.

OP
O
Reaction score
Its not really a router, its an access point. Not sure exactly if its that different because i didnt set mine up in the first place. Maybe my adapter isnt compatible. I know its not supposed to be, but i found a forum on macosxhints about getting it to work by using a chipset driver.

X

xthisisRomancex

does you network require a certain proxy. like at my school i have to type in bess.proxy.k12.bossier.la.us and then 8856 and the port number..
go to one of the PC's and go to IE then tools->internet options->Connections tab--> Lan Settings and see if the use proxy server box is ticked.... if so copy the adress and box into the one on ur mac ( hit command+comma-> click change proxy ->tick the web proxy box -> and enter the adress and proxy from the PC.

sry if this is not the cure for the problem.

OP
O
Reaction score
I use winproxy at work since we have a winxp machine leeching broadband from a win98 machine. But at home i have no need for it. Win xp all round.
I want to know what 'inflexion' meant about the MAC address thing. I havent seen any option for it on my mac which i put down more to my inexperience with macos
Thanks for all the advice so far :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
rman said:
Hopefully you are not on Comcast right now, because we have been having some DNS issues. In the last couple of days.

Believe me...I have noticed ;) I lost connectivity completely off and on for the past couple of nights here.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.