Safari quits unexpectedly

Reaction score
Safari is my main browser, however it seems to randomly experience an error and quit. This can happen maybe twice a day, even when viewing this website.

I am a switcher and do not know how to troubleshoot or fix the problem.

I ran Repair Disk Permissions. However, I don't know if that is enough...and it quit again after doing that.

It happens on all sorts of websites (nothing malicious).

My browser and other software is current and up-to-date.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.
Go into the file menu and reset Safari, it gives you options on what to cleanse, and reset the lot.
It should help.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
If you still have problems...

Please identify the version of Safari you are using, and your OS, down to the last "."

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27 iMac+Thunderbolt, iMac 21,
And what you upgraded/installed to/from at the time the problem started

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unibody MacBook Pro 2.26, 4gb RAM, 500gb HD
Numerous problems have been reported with Safari and all other browsers when used with Snow Leopard. Most likely there will be a fix via an update from Apple in the near future, but for now, it's just something that we may have to live with for a few weeks.

OP
T
Reaction score
I am running version 10.5.8 and Safari version 4.0.3

I have merely run the automatic updates and the problem still appears to be random as I can't get it to repeat itself consistently.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Also using Leopard and Safari version 4.0.3 and problems requiring resets and so called 'Bad Requests' have driven me back to Firefox. Keep sending in those Apple Bug Reports.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
I am running version 10.5.8 and Safari version 4.0.3

I have merely run the automatic updates ....

Same here, and I have had none of the issues reported in this thread.

You did not say if you tried the Reset Safari... suggestion. You could also try Empty Cache... from that menu.

Other options, in the order of difficulty:
1. Move com.apple.safari.plist to your Desktop. You will find in in your Home folder > Library > Preferences. (note: not Preference Panes, and be sure you're not in one of the other Library folders) Next step, open Safari. A new plist file will be created, set to original defaults. If your problems go away, Trash the file you moved. If it was better before (unlikely) put that file back where it was, overwriting the new one.

2. Log in under a different user account and see if the problems persist. If not, your usual User Account is corrupt and should be Trashed. If you need more info on Accounts, go to Mac Help in the Help menu of the Finder (click the Desktop to see it) Use the index, and select Accounts.

3. Reinstall Safari from a fresh download.

4. Reinstall Leopard and the latest combo update to get back to 10.5.8

Good luck, and report back!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.