Keyboard shortcut to choose between options

Reaction score
I am a big fan of keyboard shortcuts.

When I close Safari or Firefox with multiple tabs I get a pop-up window asking me if I want to Quit or Cancel.

In Windows I use tab for this, however it does not work on my Mac. Is there a keyboard shortcut for switching between these options?

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
You can turn that annoying box off. That's what I do on every browser.
Don't remember a single time I've ever closed a browser that I didn't mean to. Sure don't need it asking me if that's what I really want to do.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.1GHz MacBook with 4GB RAM, Mac OS X 10.6, iLife and iWork ‘09
Actually, there is a way to switch among the options using Tab.

Open System Preferences and go into the Keyboard settings. At the bottom of the Keyboard Shortcuts tab, you’ll see the option to enable it. Set it to move focus between All controls. (That’s in Snow Leopard; it’s in Leopard and possibly earlier too, but I don’t remember exactly where.)

attachment.php

Also, in some dialogs you can hold the Command (⌘) key and press the first letter of the choice you want, and you can always press Escape to choose the Cancel choice of the dialog.

Keyboard Pref.png

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.