Carbon Copy Cloner versus Time Machine

Reaction score
Which one should i be using for a complete backup?

I need to partition using bootcamp but i need to backup first. Last thing i want to do is lose over 100gb of music films etc

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Depends on what you want from a backup.

If you feel the need to be able to go back in time to retrieve previous versions of files or previously deleted files, TM is the way to go.

If you want a bootable duplicate of your internal drive, SD! or CCC is the way to go.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
Time machine will back-up your files, applications and settings. You cannot boot from a TM back-up since the OS is not copied over, but you can restore your system after a fresh install or hard disk failure

Carbon Copy Cloner will do a complete copy of your hard drive that is bootable. You can then use the cloned image to restore everything back including the OS

And of course, its always a good idea to keep a back-up, as I learned last week when my hard drive failed (I had a TM back-up)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad Pro 12.9 latest iOS
If you can .... do both

SuperDuper! or Carbon Copy Cloner make a bootable snapshot of your machine at a given moment in time.

Time Machine complements this by taking a copy of modified files every hour ( by default ) so you can have multiple copies of the same file on a TM backup and you can travel back in time to find the correct version of a file.

Also TM can work completely unattended with a Time Capsule, whilst you have to explicitly launch SuperDuper! or CCC so TM is very convenient to have.

However, if you need to do a complete system restore, your CCC bootable backup will be the quickest solution.

There are different backup strategies and my suggestion is to take a step back and decide what you want to protect yourself against, how quickly you want to be back in business again after a failure and how much effort you are willing to invest to re-create lost or corrupted data.
Once you have this figured out, then technology can step in and do the work for you.;D

Cheers ... McBie

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad Pro 12.9 latest iOS
SuperDuper can be scheduled to do backups;

Click for full size

Collin, where did you get that screen from ?:Mischievous:
Is that behind the " Schedule " button on the main screen ?
Must admit I did not spot that before.
Thanks

Cheers ... McBie

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27 iMac+Thunderbolt, iMac 21,
From my copy but it is not selectable unless you have HD connected and yes, then clicking on schedule gets u in there.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
SuperDuper is the way to go. The registered version is super fast however you can use it without registration.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
I would recommend SuperDuper! as well. When Leopard was released, the authors of SD! spent quite a bit of time working to ensure that all of the nuisances of Leopard's updated filesystem were supported, as well as ensuring Time Machine compatibility. In that time, I don't remember CCC being similarly updated.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Current versions of SuperDuper and Carbon Copy Cloner are very similar. SD requires registration before it's full functional whereas CCC is fully functional since it's donation ware. As a point of interest... MacWorld rates CCC one half star higher than SD. I have no idea why. Perhaps the personal choice of the rater.

Regards.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.