• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

converting mkv to avi files is the bane of my mac existence

Reaction score
Hi all,

Have been searching for ages for answers. I’m new to mac-forum so please let me know if I should have posted this somewhere else, or missed something in my searches, etc.

Here’s what I’ve been dealing with: I downloaded some unlicensed anime in mkv format and I would like to convert them into avi format. The mkv files have two audio tracks (English and Japanese) and one subtitle track.

On VLC, the audio is perfect and the video stutters and gets stuck (it’s pretty bad, i.e. not tolerable).
On MPlayer, the video is perfect and the audio is choppy and broken.

Ideally, I would like an avi file with two audio tracks and separate subtitle files. I realize, from reading other forum threads, that a lot of people do not like the avi format and will suggest that I keep the mkv format since VLC does play them. But my computer (old school PowerBook G4, Mac OS X.4) apparently can’t handle them and I’ve never had a problem with avi’s.

This is the method that I’m trying to use:

1. Use mokgvm2dvd1.0.2 (earlier version of MKVTools) to extract the subtitle files.
2. Use VisualHub (1.34.1) to convert the video to avi.
3. Watch the resulting avi with separate subtitles in VLC.

I don’t like to convert the files using mokgvm2dvd1.0.2 because the video quality is very poor compared to that of VisualHub.

I’ve tried ffmpegx to convert the files to avi, but the resulting file can’t be played with VLC (audio, but no video).

I’ve tried avidemux but can’t seem to get anywhere with that program.

My version of Handbrake (for Mac OS X.4) can’t open mkv files.

Problems:

1. For some reason, with these mkv files, nothing happens when I open them with mokgvm2dvd1.0.2. I’ve extracted subtitles and audio tracks before but, for these files, nothing happens. Activity Monitor shows that mokgvm2dvd1.0.2 and mencoder are running and taking up a lot of processing power, but nothing ever shows up - and I’ve let it sit for a few hours. So, I am unable to convert or extract files.

2. I can’t choose the audio track in VisualHub. It automatically chooses the English audio track (it doesn’t matter if it is the first or second track - I tried different files to test this).

Unfortunately, techspansion has discontinued VisualHub and removed all support forums but I cannot afford to buy another video converter and I don’t feel confident enough to try out “building Film Redux” (or whatever that means). Plus, my copy of VisualHub works like a charm - so why change to something else?

Questions:

1. What are some possible reasons that mokgvm2dvd1.0.2 would be unable to open an mkv file?
2. How can I choose an audio track in VisualHub?
3. Is there a better method for converting .mkv to .avi?

Keep in mind that I’m a true newbie to video conversion - it has been quite the ordeal to get this far. Just let me know if I’ve left out some important information.

Thanks in advance to anyone willing to help me out.

OP
T
Reaction score
Please, does anyone know how to choose an audio track when converting in VisualHub?

Reaction score
Is there any reason why you want avi files so bad? I know you never had problems with avi before but that was prob due to the video resolution more than anything. How big are these mkv files? doesn't avi have a file size limit of 2gb?
I have never done this but I believe mp4 can handle subtitles, don't know whether they have to be hard encoded or not though.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.