Those of you with external HDD...

C

code777

I'm curious, do you unmount your external HDD before putting you mac to sleep? Or do you just keep them on and just sleep the mac leaving the HDD on and mounted.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2GHz Mac Mini 2GB RAM 160GB 10.6.2 | MDD DP 1.25GHz G4 1.5GB RAM 10.4.11 | 233MHz iMac G3 10.3.9
I leave it mounted - haven't had any issues at all with it and neither has anyone I know :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb
I unmount and turn mine off when I'm not using it, simply cause I don't see a point to leaving it mounted if I'm not needing to work from it or something, but thats just me.

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
I do the same thing as Macman. Unmount and shut it down when not in use.

iWhat

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook, iMac G5, iPad, iPhone 4, iPod (MANY)!
I umount everytime, because I just end up getting prompted that my drive did not unmount successfully, after my mac wakes up from a sleep.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i dont have no mac's
iWhat said:
I umount everytime, because I just end up getting prompted that my drive did not unmount successfully, after my mac wakes up from a sleep.

that is exactly what i get...plus the only time i really put my PB to sleep is when i am going somewhere, and obviously my hd's are not going with me across campus
-chris

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.