Caps Lock Key Has Become ] Key!?

Reaction score
Indiana; there's more than just corn here
Your Mac's Specs
Powerbook G4 1.67 MHz
When I press caps lock it makes the ] key. The light doesn't turn on or anything. However, if I open the software keyboard and press caps lock the light turns on and the caps lock actually works.

I've tried resetting the PRAM, the SMC/PMU, checking the keyboard layouts, running off of the Snow Leopard and Leopard install DVD's and swapping the keyboard. None of these have solved my problem. I've never run up against something like this, it's pretty bizarre. Anyone have any ideas?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2 GHz MacBook '07, 1.83 GHz Mac Mini '06, 700MHz Emac 2003, 400MHz Imac 2001
I had that problem with a 1999 iMac. What I did was put a small amount of tissue between the key and the actual button to gain that extra bit of pressure. For some reason, this helped me. Might help you.
Cheers.

OP
ezhangin
Reaction score
Indiana; there's more than just corn here
Your Mac's Specs
Powerbook G4 1.67 MHz
That is the strangest solution I've heard yet, and if it works I will give you a hug.

Reaction score
I have the same issue except in reverse.

I replaced my A1211 MacBook Pro keyboard because my old keyboard had a few key's that ceased working. Now my ]} key toggles on and off the capslock key (which is on the totally other side of the keyboard)
I know one can remap the caps lock to do other things but this is just a crazy silly error that there MUST be some way to remap a specific keystroke to do something.

Pleaseeee someone help!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Oh God, where to start... Let' just say I have a showroom ;)
I have the same issue except in reverse.

I replaced my A1211 MacBook Pro keyboard because my old keyboard had a few key's that ceased working. Now my ]} key toggles on and off the capslock key (which is on the totally other side of the keyboard)
I know one can remap the caps lock to do other things but this is just a crazy silly error that there MUST be some way to remap a specific keystroke to do something.

Pleaseeee someone help!!

This happens when you replace one of THESE:
macbookprokeyboard01.jpg

With one of THESE:
393749037396.jpg

NOTICE the Function keys across the top. They are two different versions.
The most common solution is to use a little app called PCKeyboardHack to remap the key.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.