Problems Installing Snow Lep on a 1st Generation MacBook

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1st Generation Black MacBook, 2GHz Intel Core Duo, 2GB 667MHz DDR2 SDRAM, Mac OS X 10.5.8
I got a snow leopard installation disc, and I tried installing the OS on my 1st generation macbook. Everything seemed to be going alright, I agreed to the terms of use and everything, and the installation began. I walked away from the computer, and came back later to find my computer all booted up with the disc ejected. I checked "about this mac" and I still had 10.5.8.

So, I tried it again but this time I stayed with it. The installation was going well, and at about 35 minutes left, and around 25% complete, it said that it needed to restart the computer, and the installation will proceed after the computer restarted. The restart was taking awhile, but then the disc just ejected all of a sudden, and the computer booted up normally. I checked "about this mac" and it still said version 10.5.8.

I did this a total of 5-6 times... and its getting pretty frustrating. I did notice however that after the whole disc ejecting thing happened I had 3GB used up on my HD, and then I found a folder with OS installation stuff... it had all the applications, the printer files, the language files, etc. I opened up one of them, and it brought me to another installation set up thing. I guess I could install all of those things... but I would rather the installation disc just work already.

I started reading the instructions that come on the disc, and I was doing everything right it seems, but they did talk about how some computers may need to do the erase and install feature, and something about optical drives... I don't really understand all this. I suppose I can throw all my stuff on an external drive and see if the erase and install works, but I figured maybe someone will know exactly what to do.

sorry for dragging out the story...

Please Help!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
Is it a retail version, or a system specific version? ... in other words, did you get the disk off someone with a different mac?

OP
G
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1st Generation Black MacBook, 2GHz Intel Core Duo, 2GB 667MHz DDR2 SDRAM, Mac OS X 10.5.8
it was a retail version... I actually just came back from the mac store, and they installed it with their external hd. So I got the snow lep. everythings cool. As for the install dvd i had... they didnt know what was up with it, but they gave me a brand new one.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.