Can I install D-Link DIR-615 router for my mac?

BrianLachoreVPI

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
March 2011 15" MBP 2.3GHz i7 Quad Core 8GB Ram | Mid 2011 27" iMac 3.4 GHz i7 16 GB RAM 2 TB HDD
hey, ive just come across this thread. ive read through what everyone is saying and it still cant manage to set up the security on the d-link. every time i put the i.p adress in to set up manually i get taken to my 'virgin superhub' set up page. Does any body know how to over ride this so i can get to the d-link set up page?

Disconnect it from your superhub while you're changing the settings. While disconnected you can change its IP address to be different from the superhub's IP address.

Reaction score
ok, the set up ive got is the hub is connected, without a phone line, im not sure what exactly the connection is, either way, its connected to the entry point, then im running an ethernet cable to the d-link. Do i need to turn the virgin hub off or just disconnect from it?

BrianLachoreVPI

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
March 2011 15" MBP 2.3GHz i7 Quad Core 8GB Ram | Mid 2011 27" iMac 3.4 GHz i7 16 GB RAM 2 TB HDD
Just make sure it's not connected to the d-link - and that your laptop isn't connected to the superhub. Connect to the d-link using an ethernet cable and make your setting changes that way. Go ahead and adjust the d-link's IP address so later - you can log on to either router wirelessly with no IP address conflict. Just make sure the IP address you assign is outside of the DHCP range of whichever router you're using as the DHCP server.

BrianLachoreVPI

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Reaction score
wow, these DIR-615s are just full of problems. Ok, so its working fine now and ive set a name for the connection in the d-link i.p adress settings, thing is, i set a WEP, great, but then i look on the airport menu, there isnt a padlock symbol, now i can only assume this means that the password hasnt set and anybody can connect to the d-link (neighbours, **** neighbours) and slow the connection down and risk security. Its as if the router is resetting my password. Hopefully this will be the last time i have to bother you guys.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I have not looked at a 615 for ages, but is WEP all it has? Check for WPA at least. Also be sure the Firmware is up to date. I updated the Firmware on one older DLink and WPA and WPA2 magically appeared!!

Reaction score
this firmware right, im not quite sure what it is haha! is firmware something running on the computer or from the device? because i have nothing on my mac that is helping run the d-link.

Reaction score
Liebe User,

ich versuche ebenfalls gerade, einen D-Link WIRELESS N HOME Router DIR-615 mit meinem neuen MacBook zu verbinden, und habe mir hierzu diesen Thread aufmerksam durchgelesen. Ich kann mich über das Web-Interface einloggen und habe sowohl den Internet-Zugang konfiguriert (Kabel) als auch die Wireless-Einstellungen.

Das Wireless-Network wird dann auch angezeigt, und ich kann mich mit meinem MacBook darin einloggen. Allerdings, sobald ich das Netzwerkkabel herausziehe, ändert sich die Wireless-Anzeige zu einem Ausrufezeichen, und als Warnung steht dabei "Keine Internetverbindung". Hat jemand Ideen, woran das liegen könnte?

Danke im voraus,

Dominik99

BrianLachoreVPI

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Liebe User,

ich versuche ebenfalls gerade, einen D-Link WIRELESS N HOME Router DIR-615 mit meinem neuen MacBook zu verbinden, und habe mir hierzu diesen Thread aufmerksam durchgelesen. Ich kann mich über das Web-Interface einloggen und habe sowohl den Internet-Zugang konfiguriert (Kabel) als auch die Wireless-Einstellungen.

Das Wireless-Network wird dann auch angezeigt, und ich kann mich mit meinem MacBook darin einloggen. Allerdings, sobald ich das Netzwerkkabel herausziehe, ändert sich die Wireless-Anzeige zu einem Ausrufezeichen, und als Warnung steht dabei "Keine Internetverbindung". Hat jemand Ideen, woran das liegen könnte?

Danke im voraus,

Dominik99

Dear users,

I also just try a D-Link Wireless N Router to connect HOME DIR-615 with my new MacBook, and I have carefully read this this thread. I can log in via the web interface and I have both configured to access the Internet (cable) and wireless settings.

The wireless network is then displayed, and I can log in with my MacBook in it. However, as soon as I pull out the network cable to the wireless display will change to an exclamation mark, and stands as a warning "No internet connection". Does anyone have ideas why this might be?

Thanks in advance,

Dominik99

What would we do without the Internet and Google translate... :)

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Are you using an encryption Key like WEP, WPA, ETC?

Makes no sense that unplugging the Cat-5 cable would make the WiFi die.

I was about to use Google Translate and repost your thread but Brian beat me to it! :D

Reaction score
Are you using an encryption Key like WEP, WPA, ETC?

Makes no sense that unplugging the Cat-5 cable would make the WiFi die.

I was about to use Google Translate and repost your thread but Brian beat me to it! :D

I've tried with and without encryption, but in both cases it is the same. I am not sure if the WiFi actually works when I connect the network cable, but at least the error message only comes when I remove it.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Do you have internet when you have it plugged into the router? If so and even with no encryption you get no internet, I am wondering if it's a router issue. Is that Mac the only device in your place with WiFi access? Do you have any other computers or Tablets you can try with the router?

Reaction score
Do you have internet when you have it plugged into the router? If so and even with no encryption you get no internet, I am wondering if it's a router issue. Is that Mac the only device in your place with WiFi access? Do you have any other computers or Tablets you can try with the router?

Thanks, very good idea. I just tried my iPhone, and it can use the Wireless connection (I see the response on the rooter). Any idea what might be wrong with the MacBook then?

Thanks,

Dominik

PS: Internet works when the cable is plugged in.

Reaction score
Setting up a Dlink 2740b router

I had a bunch of problems setting up this router, and thought I would share.

Firstly, the installation CD doesn;t work on a mac. It has a windows exe file only. If you browse around you might find the manual, which is a PDF in the manuals folder. The manual will tell you to run the wizard (which you can't) and give a bunch of instructions for configuring the router through the web interface.

Next, I turned plugged in the router, turned it on, and connected it to my ADSL. I let it sit there a while and find the connection. Wireless on. Ready to go...

To get the iMac to 'see' the router, I went into system preferences, then Networks and turned on Airport. This found the dlink wireless network and figured out the TCP settings. I was given the default 192.168.1.2 with the router getting 192.168.1.1

FInal step is to connect to the router with your browser and log in using the admin/admin settings. Shame this doesn;t work on Safari. I had to tether my iMac to my phone, download firefox and use that.

NOW I can go through the admin instructions as per the manual on the 'installation CD'. Phew. Hope this helps someone, it took me a while to get going.

Reaction score
MacBook Air + iSpot + D-Link = CONFUSION!!!

Hi y'all, I am by no means a techie... have never needed to set up a router or printer til today! and I'm confounded by it all.

I have a MacBook Air running OS X Leopard 10.7.
I have a Clear iSpot for hotspot/wifi: Clear iSpot review -- Engadget

I just got a new D-Link DIR-615-SW that I want to set up... how do I do it with a gadget like an iSpot -- which doesn't have an ethernet port for the router to connect to?

Thank you!!!
Clueless Caroline

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.