Can I install D-Link DIR-615 router for my mac?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook
Hello all,

I'm new at this, but I just had the cable guy come and install my cable internet and modem. He sold me a wireless router (Dlink DIR 615), but I don't know how to install it on my mac. Its supposed to auto launch the install when I put the CD in, but nothing happens. I have a Macbook and I'm running 10.5.8 on it. Is there anyway for me to set up and install this router?!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Not a very helpful cable guy - sells you a router and then doesn't set it up for you. :Angry:

Did he leave you the box with the setup book and instructions? User guide?

Anyway, here's a LINK to the DIR 615 user's guide and setup instructions. Read through it. Make sure you have an ethernet cable attached from the router to your computer before you start the wireless setup.

If you have any questions about DNS settings and so forth, you'll have to address those to your ISP.

Regards.

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook
I can get wireless, but not secured

Thank you for your reply. I can plug in the router and it does provide wireless internet that I can use. But it is not secured. Without being able to use the install disk, I don't know how to place a password on the wireless. Is there anything I can do for that? The pdf. you linked to me shows that this router and software should work with Mac, but it doesn't.
Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch MacBook Pro
Open your web browser and go to 192.168.0.1 and log in with Admin and blank password. Does that work?

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
If you look carefully at the manual provided by chscag it says the CD is an Autorun that runs an .EXE. An EXE is a Windows file and will not run on a Mac or Linux.

Go to page 47 of that manual chscag gave you the URL for and it tells about Wireless security and how to set it up. You log into the router with a Web Browser like was outlined mdfuller.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.
I jst got a free one of these from Virgin.
Set up took 2 minutes, so it's easy enough.
Log in as mdfuller said, using an ethernet cable, and then go to "wireless set up".
Now select "manual wireless connection set up" and select WPA key. Enter your key and click next. The router reboots (really quickly!) and then you can unplug the ethernet and connect wirelessly as before.
No cd needed, and really simple.

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook
Great! So I'll plug in the ethernet through the router to my computer, enter 192.168.0.1 in the web browerser and long in as admin/blank password. With the WPA, pg 47 says that I create that WPA... do I create it at this point? And then to reboot, I just turn it off and back on? Thanks everyone! I'm so new to all of this!!!!!

T

todd51

Sounds like you got it, it's pretty straight-forward. When you enter that username and password in, every setting for your router will come up in the browser like a nice/neat little web page. Just go to the wireless configuration settings and enable WPA encryption and choose your password. You may also change the Name of the network which would be known as the SSID. It's probably something generic like "dlink" or something right now.

After you've set up the wirless encryption, just unplug the ethernet cable and test out the wireless.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
In addition to the "admin" username and blank password method, there is actually an individual username and password hidden somewhere in the instructions sheet that comes with the router. I threw mine away a long time ago, so I forget where exactly it's located. But I do remember something about turning the page upside down (maybe) and looking for fine print. Something like that. Those tricky guys at D-Link! *shakes fist* :Angry:

Reaction score
Found this thread today and thought it would help me, but it hasn't. Just got this router yesterday to upgrade from my old 7 year old router which was also a dlink. Anyway I have tried everything that has been mentioned in this thread and I cannot seem to get the link mentioned to work so that I can setup the security. The router is working fine as I am on it at the moment. I also never had a secured network on my old router so this is completely new to me. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
What all have you tried and what exactly are you trying to do? Set up WiFi with WPA? Whatever you do don't use WEP as it can be hacked so easily today.

Please give us a bit more info and also your Mac's specs and which OSX version you are running.

Reaction score
I have the same router as these people and when i go to 192.168.0.1 to change the settings of the router there are 3 blocks. The Admin/user and i know to use admin, then the password box which i am supposed to leave blank, but then below that there is a graphical authentication box, but the image of the letter will not come up, there is just a questionmark like the box won't load. any help on that?

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
What browser are you using to access the Dlink?

Are you sure you have a Dlink DIR615? I downloaded the manual and all there is on the log in screen is user and password. No 3rd area.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
On the back of the DIR-615 you'll see a small reset hole. Use a straightened out paper clip and insert it in that hole and keep it there for about 15 seconds.

That will reset the 615 back to its factory default. Now use your browser and type in the IP address of: 192.168.0.1 You should see two boxes - one for the USERID and one below for the PASSWORD. The default USERID is ADMIN, the default password may be blank or USER (depends on model series).

Anyway, that should get you into the main setup menu of the 615.

One more note... make sure you have an ethernet cable hooked up during the setup process.

Regards.

Reaction score
yes i am positive. I have the DIR-615. I type in the IP address of 192.168.0.1 and i get the screen with the 3 boxes. I am using safari since i am on a MAC

Reaction score
well just an update. I downloaded firefox and the letters for the graphical authentication showed up. Must be a safari problem, hmmm

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro, Power Mac G4, iMac G3, iPhone 3GS
Install software for a router? What kind of madness is that?

Do you really have to do that on Windows!?

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
What country do you live in? Unless Dlink has recently added that to the routers Firmware, every manual from Dlink on that router shows 2 prompts.

Also that is why I asked what browser you were running. There are many for OSX and not just Safari.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.
No third box on mine either.
Try Firefox instead then.

Reaction score
hey, ive just come across this thread. ive read through what everyone is saying and it still cant manage to set up the security on the d-link. every time i put the i.p adress in to set up manually i get taken to my 'virgin superhub' set up page. Does any body know how to over ride this so i can get to the d-link set up page?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.