Garbage in Library folders.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" early 2006 iMac 1,5GB RAM & 1TB HDD
Hi all. I'm trying to post again pointlessly, since I lately I seldom get a response. Anyways, what I'm trying to do is delete all the residues of apps that I have deleted, some of which I have zapped (with AppZapper, so these should have no garbage) and some of which I haven't. It would be great if someone pointed me to some app that detected unused stuff (not only preferences, stuff in Application Support, etc too).
Thanks in advance.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Am not aware of any such app for OS X, nor is there really a need for one as there is in Windows. For the most part, the stuff left behind by uninstalled apps, unlike in Windows, do nothing except take up a very minimal amount of space. Even regaining the space is not typically worth the investment of time going around searching them all out.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
If it really concerns you, reinstall the programmes and then remove again using AppZapper or AppDelete....
Keep in mind, that majority of these files, are tiny, and don't effect performance in in size or function anyway.
OS X operating systems are great at arranging items in order to keep free space, and optimising efficiency.
Adding to that, the the large HDs and Ram now days, it's really just nitpicking that should be left up to the Windows users :)
The space/speed hogs are music, movies, iDVD, Garageband, and all the plugins.
The reason you're not finding any software to do what you want, is that it's not necessary.
If you really want to clean up your mac though, backup your files, music, apps, etc that you want to keep, erase your HD and do a clean install, and then restore from your external hard drive.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
Am not aware of any such app for OS X, nor is there really a need for one as there is in Windows. For the most part, the stuff left behind by uninstalled apps, unlike in Windows, do nothing except take up a very minimal amount of space. Even regaining the space is not typically worth the investment of time going around searching them all out.

Oops...
Agreed!
Just clicked post and then saw your post there:)

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
This really is one of those time eating windows things that can be left behind with the move to OS X and you can now spend your time actually using the computer during that time when you use to run a bunch of maintenance apps.

edit: kane, sometimes things like this are better coming from multiple sources, it provides some affirmation to the op

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sorry for the late response, my school is "tomado" (info on what that means on Inicio | Colegio Nacional de Buenos Aires). I know most files are small, but some... for example, the folder left behind by Apple Qmaster (my dad tried to use it on this some time a go) is 3.5MB, and seeing there are probably about a other 50, that would amount to 200MB in application support only. That means we could be talking GB on whole.
Yes, I know you guys all have HUGE HDD and all that stuff, but (unluckily) I don't. I have 1TB, of which nearly 750GB goes to back up's of the "family" iMac, and my parents laptops. So I get 250 to store the 200GB of music, movies, photos, etc that we all share. This leaves me with only 60GB for all my (and my brothers) documents & stuff. So I end up with like ~15GB free, too little in my opinion.

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If it really concerns you, reinstall the programmes and then remove again using AppZapper or AppDelete....
Might as well delete all the files manually, since I would have to look at them just to get the names for the programs.
If you really want to clean up your mac though, backup your files, music, apps, etc that you want to keep, erase your HD and do a clean install, and then restore from your external hard drive.
Because I just must have one.
If there is no solution, I understand this. Thanks anyways for trying.

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back with more info, my ~/Library folder weighs 6GB, which is ruefully 30% of ~/. I imagine it is about the same for the rest of the users, and /Library is 14GB.

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
And I would think that the "just drag the .app and get over with it" attitude only applies to mac, since -correct me if I'm wrong- only mac has the neat self contained apps. I was just searching, and it look's like klik - Linux Software Download might do it for Linux, but I have not had the luxury to try it yet. I do like Ubuntu's application managing system, as a alternative.

Reaction score
A little late here, but, to delete applications cleanly, if it bugs you like it bugs me, only because I've recently stopped using Windows, it is called AppCleaner.

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
A little late here, but, to delete applications cleanly, if it bugs you like it bugs me, only because I've recently stopped using Windows, it is called AppCleaner.
I have already expressed that this is for residues of apps, not apps I wan't to delete. I use AppZapper for that, and usually use it, but sometimes I just plainly forget.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sorry for the late response, my school is "tomado" (info on what that means on Inicio | Colegio Nacional de Buenos Aires). I know most files are small, but some... for example, the folder left behind by Apple Qmaster (my dad tried to use it on this some time a go) is 3.5MB, and seeing there are probably about a other 50, that would amount to 200MB in application support only. That means we could be talking GB on whole.
Yes, I know you guys all have HUGE HDD and all that stuff, but (unluckily) I don't. I have 1TB, of which nearly 750GB goes to back up's of the "family" iMac, and my parents laptops. So I get 250 to store the 200GB of music, movies, photos, etc that we all share. This leaves me with only 60GB for all my (and my brothers) documents & stuff. So I end up with like ~15GB free, too little in my opinion.

Simple answer!

You should be using an external HD primarily designated for backups... this is not the "law", but it is a must!
The size of your HD is huge by any standard, and the amount of GB you stand to save is insignificant!
The other thing is, that a lot application support, preference files, etc that you want to remove, is needed for a lot of applications to run efficiently, and removing the ones that you think are not needed, can often be a big mistake, if you are wrong (much again, if a removal application is wrong).
If you can't help yourself but to remove application support items, the best way to do it is by manually going through, and removing them.... But once again, I'd tread very carefully and be sure to have a working external backup before proceeding.
Otherwise, you stand to be one of the hard luck stories in the forum threads in the future!

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You should be using an external HD primarily designated for backups... this is not the "law", but it is a must!
What if I say that my internal died on me and I don't have the money to invest in a new one, so I just replaced the 160GB iMac 2006 one with my external?
Do you even know what a HDD cost's here? 500GB are around 150U$D. Ao if I wanted a TB... 300U$D! Thats probably what I can save in 4 months.
Yes, I hate living with out the complete security of a backup on a different physical disc, might as well live with what I have now.

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I don't mean the previous post to be mean, I guess I just have some genovese left in me: I can't stand throwing anything away. ;D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
What if I say that my internal died on me and I don't have the money to invest in a new one, so I just replaced the 160GB iMac 2006 one with my external?
Do you even know what a HDD cost's here? 500GB are around 150U$D. Ao if I wanted a TB... 300U$D! Thats probably what I can save in 4 months.
Yes, I hate living with out the complete security of a backup on a different physical disc, but what the ****, might as well live with what I have now.

If that's the case then you definitely want to tread carefully....
Remove files that you know you don't need manually.
Trusting a software package to delete stuff without a backup would be a big mistake!

Also, if you google around, you can find some pretty big WD hard drives for well under $100 AU (which is approx $80US)

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
+Shipping+Tax. And I definitely won't live with a Seagate. 2 of their drives have died on me in less than a year and a half.
Trusting a software package to delete stuff without a backup would be a big mistake!
Agreed, but the manual method is a pain.
Anyhow, thanks for the help again, see you around.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
+Shipping+Tax. And I definitely won't live with a Seagate. 2 of their drives have died on me in less than a year and a half.
Agreed, but the manual method is a pain.
Anyhow, thanks for the help again, see you around.

That's a Samsung, not a seagate!

Here is a Hitachi example...

500GB Hard Drive - Hitachi DeskStarP7K500 SATA HDD - Online Shopping @ Shopping Square.COM.AU Online Bargain & Discount Shopping Square

Keep in mind that these are from one site. put in some time googling and Im sure you can get an even better deal.... The Hitachi 500GB +shipping +tax is still going to leave you spending less than $100!

IBM (Hitachi) Deskstar P7K500 SATAII 500.0GB 16MB - Upgrade Your Mac

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
GReat, know where is this "shoppingsquare" place? Do they have a branch in Argentina? Probably not, and definitely not for the uk store ;D . I would have to buy from MercadoLibre Argentina - Donde comprar y vender de todo. or something of the sort, not a store from a other country. And don't even ask about shiping it or having some one bring it here... Taxes on imported electronics just went up 30% :Angry:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.