Possible issue with HDD according to 'IDEFRAG TOBW'

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OSX 10.6.1, 2.53ghz Intel 2 Duo Core, 4GB Ram 1067MHz DDR3, 250gb HDD
Posted below is a copy of the error message I receive when I run the error check function in IDefrag

error check issue

incomplete defrag process

What do these mean? Is the program just trying to bait me into buying the full version of the software? Is there a better defrag program for the MAC? The guy at the apple store said my MBP doesn't need to run a defrag program but I find that hard to believe. If macforums agrees that its not needed then I suppose I'll install and get away from my PC ways.

Thanks

Mike

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Pertaining to defragging your Mac, it just simply is not needed for the vast majority of users.

Here is the Apple kb article about it and there are more technical articles that can be found with a little googling.

As an example, I quite literally download and install 150-200 apps a year. Over 90% of them are also uninstalled in a very short time. Not to mention downloading music and video that consequently get moved to the server. We both know what happens to a Windows system volume with this sort of practice.

The last time I installed iDefrag just to check it out, my system was less than 2% fragmented - and this was 2 years after a clean install. This wouldn't even be a reason to defrag a Windows volume.

Now I also use other best practices. For example, I never allow any system volume less than 35%+ free space. (Even though I only recommend 20-25% and less than 15% is def bad practice.)

There may be reasons to defrag as noted in the Apple article - i.e. you're running a volume close to being full coupled with installing and removing large files on an ongoing basis.

As to the fsck error, that is another matter. I would suggest booting from your OS X install disk and using Disk Utility to run a repair.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.