Poor video playback...Snow Leopard

Reaction score
Is anyone experiencing poor video playback...

Eye TV - Frozen frames, skipped frames, audio delay
VLC - DVD movies have audio delay and choppy video. Same for .avi files

I did a clean install of SL. Never experienced these issues with Leopard.

Already checked activity monitor. I have no startup items or anything like that.
When I run VLC or EyeTV there is no other program running (Firefox, Adium or CS4)...absolute clean machine. This is getting very frustrating and making me want to go back to Leopard :(

SL 10.6.1, Oct 2007 MacBook, 2.16 Core2Duo, 2GB DDR2, Intel GMA 950 Graphics
BTby5.png

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Have you got the latest updates for those programs?

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
What versions of EyeTV and VLC? My EyeTV is very old and does not work native intel and needs Rosetta to run and is a bit slow.

OP
K
Reaction score
Aptmunich/dtravis7

I have the latest version of eyetv and vlc.

I think eyetv comes in lite and pro versions and I have the latest lite version.

Could this be the Intel GMA graphics. I recall reading somewhere about them not working well with SL...can't seem to find the article now...

Would it help to re-install SL...

Reaction score
Snow Leapord Video nightmare

Snow Leopard does not allow me to restart my computer. If I hit restart the power light turns on, but all I get is a black screen forcing me to shutdown with the power button. I am however able to shutdown from the menu and reboot the computer without any problems.

I am having trouble with all things video and web. I am supposedly using the latest and greatest software versions. Quicktime plays videos buggy, the picture freezes and skips as the audio continues on. Same trouble watching youtube videos. Premiere and Aftereffects do the same thing as well and have even crashed as a result. I'm running a dual core 2.66 with 7 gigs of ram. I ran Leopord with 3 gis of ram and didn't have these problems. Safari and Firefox both run buggy, with ahuge time lag, even as I reply to this thread. Social network sites are the worst followed by youtube.

My Wacom tablet seems fine most of the time, but then the selection arrow takes off without any warning. It seems to recover pretty quick. This is not a huge deal for selecting files, but its a very big deal when working on involved Photoshop files. I am extremely disappointed thus far with Snow Leopard. I was also disappointed to learn that Ilife was not included in this version. I clean installed Snow Leopard and did not bother to make a copy of Ilife before doings so. I lost all of my Apple codecs and can't read any of my old IMovie movie files, not that that they would have played very well under this OS. I may have to reinstall Leopard as I am losing too much time to these problems. I think Apple jumped the gun when they released:( this update.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
iLife is not included with any version full version of OSX. ILife only comes with a Mac when you purchase it and it's on the DVD's included with the machine. You purchase any new OSX, there is not and never has been iLife shipped with it. You install it from your original DVD's that came with your machine.

Reaction score
I too have had issues with video performance in 10.6 when compared to 10.5. I have seen the issues in Firefox, Quicktime 7, Quicktime X, and VLC. Under 10.5 I had no issues playing HD videos on my MacBook (2GHz C2D, Geforce 9400M, 4 gigs RAM) but with 10.6 the playback pauses every few seconds while the audio keeps playing.

Also ran into a weird internet related issue where all network requests were being redirected to the loopback ip (127.0.0.1). Only thing that fixes it is a restart.

Reaction score
I'm having the same problems and I'm more than a little annoyed that I've shelled out £29 for an upgrade that has actually reduced the performance of my mac.

I'm running a late-2006 iMac. 2.16GHz, 4GB RAM, ATI Radeon X1600.

I had no problems with any video, even 1080p HD, before I installed Snow Leopard.

Now I'm struggling even with non-HD YouTube videos. HD vids are almost unwatchable. Quicktime and VLC are also struggling.

What the **** is going on? Why is 10.6 messing up video playback? I can't think anything else is responsible for this. Just a few days ago with 10.5 everything was great.

If it doesn't resolve itself somehow then I'n uninstalling Snow Leopard - which I'm seriously reluctant to do.

Thats what PCs are for. Not macs.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP 2.2Ghz C2D 4GB RAM 120GB HDD
My video playback is also poor since upgrading to Snow Leopard in several applications. I've got a 2.2GHz C2D Macbook Pro with 128MB GeForce 8600M GT video card. I was running 10.5.7 and everything was fine. Upgraded to the latest versions of EyeTV and VLC prior to upgrading and playback is worse than Leopard in both apps, including iTunes.

Anyone have any fixes besides going back to Leopard?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.