OS X type question

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Quadcore 2.66GHz Mac Pro, 8GB RAM, 2x250GB HD
This is a really silly bit of trivia, so I apologize if this isn't really a question about an issue, but I am really curious.

I have a Mac Pro, and my OS X install disks are clearly labelled Mac Pro. A friend of mine has an iMac, and his install disks are labelled iMac. Are there actually any differences in the OS X's for the two machines?

--Ron

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
This is a really silly bit of trivia, so I apologize if this isn't really a question about an issue, but I am really curious.

I have a Mac Pro, and my OS X install disks are clearly labelled Mac Pro. A friend of mine has an iMac, and his install disks are labelled iMac. Are there actually any differences in the OS X's for the two machines? They're both Leopard, if that makes any difference.

--Ron

Yes there actually are differences between those grey/silver disks. They are model specific just like you mentioned. And if you swapped disks (put the iMac disk in the Mac Pro, or put the Mac Pro disk into the iMac)...they most likely would not work.

Hope this helps,

- Nick

OP
R
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Quadcore 2.66GHz Mac Pro, 8GB RAM, 2x250GB HD
Fascinating. Thanks everyone!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.