MBP + SSD... how move OS?

Reaction score
So, I've got a MBP in my shopping cart... and at the same time I'm ordering an Intel SSD (Intel® Mainstream SATA Solid State Drives) which I would love to install ASAP. What is the easiest/fastest/safest/best way to make the transition from a 100% new, empty, pure, untainted MBP HDD to the SSD?

Reinstall from disc? (Is one provided with MBP?)
Ghost HDD image for write to SSD? (Problems with different architecture/sizing? Suggested software?)
Other?

I'm maxing this ram and going SSD from day 1... this thing will be my baby. My hot, sechsy little baby. O:)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MBP 2.53 DC2, 09 Mini 2.0 DC2, 07 Mini 2.16 DC2, MB 2.0 DC2, iBook G3 900MHz, G4 Sawtooth 1.6Ghz
if you are replacing a drive that has nothing on it use the disc that comes with your MBP after you replace the drive to format and install a fresh OS. when you insert the disc it will run and right after you choose english in as your language you can go to the options in the top menu bar, choose disk utility, and then highlight the new drive, go to partition and select one partition and then choose extended journaled as the format and format the drive. then exit go back to installation and the new drive will be available as an option to install the OS.

OP
F
Reaction score
Would you advise doing the formating / partitioning with the SSD in an external enclosure? Then swapping out, and installing the OS onto the SSD after it is in the unibody? Or swap 'em out and do it all while in the unibody?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MBP 2.53 DC2, 09 Mini 2.0 DC2, 07 Mini 2.16 DC2, MB 2.0 DC2, iBook G3 900MHz, G4 Sawtooth 1.6Ghz
im sure opinions vary but i have replaced many macbook HDD's and i have always just put in the drive and let the Leopard/Snow Leopard disk utility format it once it was installed and never had a problem yet.

Reaction score
I just done see the SSD's being worth the price right now... nearly $600 for a 160 gig... ouch!

OP
F
Reaction score
I just done see the SSD's being worth the price right now... nearly $600 for a 160 gig... ouch!

If you have the time, I STRONGLY suggest reading this whole document, it's a wealth of information... purely awesome from a techie standpoint, but here's the gist:

AnandTech: The SSD Anthology: Understanding SSDs and New Drives from OCZ

~80% of the work your computer does is considered "Random Read" or "Random Write"... super small files it reads/writes from/to all over your HDD, this is where SSD's really shine. Check out the Intel X-25M ($240 for 80GB, ooh-la-la Newegg.com - Suggested Products, compared to the WD VelociRaptor (accepted fasted HDD evar), it writes 20~30x faster in small, 4kb segments... and reads 40~50x faster from small, 4kb segments! Holy crap! Just think what it'll do compared to that 5400rpm drive in your MBP now...

Those sub-second-to-second delays you get when doing simple stuff on your computer? Poof, gone.

AnandTech: The SSD Relapse: Understanding and Choosing the Best SSD
Launch Photoshop, WoW, and Firefox... 6.6s (Intel SSD) vs 31s (VelociRaptor).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
late 08 macbook 2.0 4gig 320hdd10.7.3 32 gig iPhone 4s
Don't waste the time with the enclosure. Just pop that bad boy into your machine and have at it. Is so simple since your starting from scratch !

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookAir5,2:10.13.6-iMac18,3:10.13.6-iPhone9,3:11.4.1
I love the SSD I installed on my MBP, and I'm sure you will too. Just pop the new drive in and use the restore DVD. Keep the old HDD for a fresh backup and warranty service. Have fun!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.