Recording Podcast interview with condenser mic

Reaction score
I host a podcast and I'm trying to record phone interviews using my condenser mic with Skype. I have a Shure condenser mic plugged into an Alesis io/2 USb audio interface connected to the USB port on my iMac. In the past I have been using my Logitech head phone mic, but the sound quality is poor. I tried using the condenser mic, but the interviewee can't hear me and I have to switch back to the head phone mic. How can I use the condenser mic to talk to and record the interview using Skype. Any help would be much appreciated.

Reaction score
Hi, i'm trying to set up an interview session. and wondering, if i were to have 2-4 ppl around a round lounge table, can ONE condenser mic OR ONE dynamic mic be sufficient to record all 4 of them? i presume the latter wld be difficult. but condensor being omnidirectional - can it do so?

if possible, what's the maximum distance from person to mic if the mic is placed at the centre? and do I still need a pop filter, and how far from each person should I place the pop filter?

Thanks so much! :D

C

chas_m

Hauntcast: for recording interviews conducted by Skype, really I'd suggest either Call Recorder for Skype - The Skype Audio/Video Call Recording Solution for Mac - Ecamm Network ($20) or just good old Rogue Amoeba | Audio Hijack Pro: Record Any Audio On Mac OS X ($32, not just a one-trick pony like SCR).

|xPloSiON: I use Blue Microphones' Snowball USB mic, which has an omnidirectional mode, and it works great. Obviously having each individual mic'd with a uni would be even better, but when you want the "round the table" sound, the Snowball's omni mode is hard to beat. I have found that placing the Snowball in the center of a round table, meaning each participant is just two or three feet away, works fine. Obviously that's going to pick up some ambient background noise, but in many cases you actually want that when doing a group discussion. I haven't needed a pop filter in those situations.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.