How to disable Gmail video chat?

Reaction score
Hello guys, an ex-PC guy here – much pleased with MacBook Pro.

Now one question, I was a bit hasty and installed Gmail video chat, but I had no idea I wouldn't be able to turn it off. Just because I might want to speak to my baby on Gmail doesn't mean that I want to do it with 50 business contacts!

Sure, I can avoid the chat function altogether but I thought it was quite convenient for the odd quick word.

I've removed the iChat application but it hasn't helped (to "uninstall it" was what a PC source told, and as far as I know one uninstalls programs on OSX by deleting them). If I had an external webcam I'd of course just disconnect it, but as said I'm running MacBook Pro with the internal camera.

Many thanks in advance,
Tim

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Quote of Google

Google Voice and Video chat has some known compatibility problems with the newly released Mac OS X v10.6 Snow Leopard. For many users, the display of video is broken, showing only your Gmail avatar image. Voice and video will also delay the sleep process on your Mac by about 30 seconds.

If you are running Snow Leopard, uninstalling the Google Voice and video chat software will resolve the sleep issue. To do this, simply download Voice and video, mount the image file and use the Uninstaller located in the Uninstaller folder.

OP
T
Reaction score
Ah! Many thanks for the swift reply!

I don't have Snow Leopard, but I nevertheless followed the clue and found the Uninstall program duly in the pack, uninstalled video, and thus I can be as unshaved as I prefer! I googled about this for quite a bit before posting here!

I bow to thee. My first post on Mac Forums was a winner, thanks again.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.