Uninstalling programmes

Reaction score
Hi

I am a newbie and who was a windows user of nearly 10 years. so however my Macbook pro 13 inch is great, I am having difficulties.

My first question is: after installing a program, if i want to remove it what should i do? I searched System Preferences but couldn't see anything.

Second one is: When I run a application it delivers a white file to my desktop. Than it disappears and sometimes i delete it. This white file means what?

Third one and the least (for now) : After letting macbook 1 or 2 minutes to its own, desktop light runs low all of a sudden. I tried to change that from the energy saver preferences but it keeps working as the same. thanks from now.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
G'day madam and welcome to the forums.

1. If the program/application comes with an uninstaller use that.

2. Download a utility such as AppTrap, install, and simply drag the program/application to the trash and AppTrap removes all subsidiary files, extensions etc. Empty Trash.

3. The white file is simply an alias of the program/application that has been installed.

4. Depends on what the program was. Sometimes may be in Applications, or Utilities.

5. Not a laptop user however seems to be a way of conserving power.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
1. If the program comes with an uninstaller, use that. If it doesn't, you can simply drag it to the Trash.

2. Can I assume that you are talking about the icon at the bottom of this picture? If so, it is a disk image. Many Mac applications come in a disk image, which is mounted as a virtual disk (what that icon represents). There is no need to know the details - simply copy what you need and drag it to the Trash (which becomes the eject symbol) which will eject the disk image.

3. In the Energy Saver Preferences, the check I think you're looking for is "Automatically reduce brightness before display goes to sleep".

OP
M
Reaction score
G'day madam and welcome to the forums.

1. If the program/application comes with an uninstaller use that.

2. Download a utility such as AppTrap, install, and simply drag the program/application to the trash and AppTrap removes all subsidiary files, extensions etc. Empty Trash.

3. The white file is simply an alias of the program/application that has been installed.

4. Depends on what the program was. Sometimes may be in Applications, or Utilities.

5. Not a laptop user however seems to be a way of conserving power.

thank harry! where could i find that apptrap?

OP
M
Reaction score
1. If the program comes with an uninstaller, use that. If it doesn't, you can simply drag it to the Trash.

2. Can I assume that you are talking about the icon at the bottom of this picture? If so, it is a disk image. Many Mac applications come in a disk image, which is mounted as a virtual disk (what that icon represents). There is no need to know the details - simply copy what you need and drag it to the Trash (which becomes the eject symbol) which will eject the disk image.

3. In the Energy Saver Preferences, the check I think you're looking for is "Automatically reduce brightness before display goes to sleep".

yes that's exactly it is! =) that 'lockedfiles' one. Because I was used to Windows when i drag something to trash i feel myself guilty and like i'm doing something wrong. So i hesitate to drag that white ones.
I'll be more comfortable after that. thanks

3 worked great.

thanks again.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Here is the AppTrap link:-

AppTrap

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.