Windows 7 Pro 64 bit on iMac

Reaction score
Hi there, I have a question about Windows 7 64 bit as I've never actually used a 64 bit operating system before. Sorry if this is a silly question! :)

I've got Windows 7 Professional pre-ordered and plan on installing it on my 20" intel iMac. It's about 18 months old now. I've never ventured into the 64 bit world of OS's, but many have said it'd be a good idea to go 64 bit with Windows 7.

I'm just a little concerned about compatibility issues and such. Also, I only have 4GB of RAM so would I even notice a difference? I'm a little unsure about it all!

Thanks for any help and opinions on this :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP/2.53GHz i5/4GB RAM/500GB HDD/15" LED Screen/Intel HD Graphics & NVIDIA GeForce GT 330M
I'm running 64-bit Windows 7 Ultimate on Bootcamp with 4GB of RAM but I seems much faster than my 32-bit Home version. Go for 64-bit.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 1.83Ghz Core 2 Duo, 1GB ram, 160GB HD. iMac 20" 2Ghz Core 2 Duo Aluminum, 2GB ram, 250GB HD
I have Windows 7 64bit installed and running successfully on my 2008 MacBook Pro. However, i have problems installing Windows 7 64bit on my other Macs that were made before 2008 as I get the dreaded "Select CD-ROM Boot Type" message when trying to boot off Windows 7 X64 disc. I try to select it but nothing happens:(

Art

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
There were driver problems early-on with 64-bit versions of Windows, but those issues are few and far between. If you have 4GB or more of memory, it's worth it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" Macbook Pro 2.53GHz; 4GB RAM; GeForce 9400M
Just check online for 64-bit support on the software manufacturer's support site. Unless you see a warning "This software does not support 64-bit versions of Windows" it should be fine.

Hardware, everything should work correctly. If you have a printer, just check the manufacturer's site to see if they drivers for it. If not, Windows 7 has a huge library of default drivers. If the printer was made after 2007, safe bet it'll work fine.

Reaction score
I'm running a 64bit version of Windows 7 on my MBP and it only has 2GB of RAM. It runs smoothly and perfectly.

ARC

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.4ghz 200gb macbook pro, 13" macbook
I'm running a 64bit version of Windows 7 on my MBP and it only has 2GB of RAM. It runs smoothly and perfectly.

same here. im actually kinda impressed with windows 7 :\

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac5, Intel Core 2 Duo, 2.16 GHz, 3 GB, and a similar Mac Mini, both on SL
I have two Macs. One has a 32bit XP.

The other is my sons Mac Mini. He want Windows to run some games. But I'd like to buy the 64bit version for his and mine.

I've done searching and some say 64bit only works for Mac Book Pro. His Mini is a late 2007 2.16Ghz Intel Core 2 duo with 2gb of ram.

What problems might I encounter? And is there any legal reason why I could not install an OEM version on his Mac Mini?

Reaction score
I assume you are talking about a Boot Camp installation here. You won't see any advantage from a 64-bit OS with only 2 GB of RAM. The main advantage to 64-bit is that you can access more than 4 GB of RAM - hence you wouldn't see an improvement on a Mac mini under just about any circumstances. You could install it, but there would really be no point. 32-bit would be much simpler and easier for the Mini.

Re the legal point, assuming you are talking about a "System Builder's OEM" version (easily purchased from a site like newegg.com), no reason at all not to do it. If you are talking about a branded OEM version (e.g., Dell or HP), it won't install under Boot Camp and would violate the EULA of the software.

Hope that helps!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP, 2.2GHz, 4GB Crucial Memory, 120GB Hard Drive

The actual version of Windows 7 or the release candidate?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I own an actual copy of Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit. Has anyone tried installing a real version of Windows 7 64-bit (not the release candidate) on their macs? I can't get it to boot from the CD.

Thanks ahead of time.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
How are you trying to install it? Win 7 64 bit can not be installed over the RC or over a 32 bit version. If you're installing it clean to a Boot Camp NTFS partition and the DVD won't boot, there may be something wrong with the media itself.

Regards.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
How are you trying to install it? Win 7 64 bit can not be installed over the RC or over a 32 bit version. If you're installing it clean to a Boot Camp NTFS partition and the DVD won't boot, there may be something wrong with the media itself.

Regards.

I'm trying to install it on a clean Boot Camp partition. There's nothing wrong with the media itself. Microsoft broke away from ISO standards when developing the bootloader for their 64-bit versions. Many people solved this problem with the 64-bit release candidate but it involved moving some files around and reburning the DVD. I'm out of luck however, because I have the actual version of Windows 7 64-bit Ultimate.

Reaction score
I'm trying to install it on a clean Boot Camp partition. There's nothing wrong with the media itself. Microsoft broke away from ISO standards when developing the bootloader for their 64-bit versions. Many people solved this problem with the 64-bit release candidate but it involved moving some files around and reburning the DVD. I'm out of luck however, because I have the actual version of Windows 7 64-bit Ultimate.

Sh1znack or anyone else, I wonder if you guys could offer me some help here. I'm trying to install Win7 x64 on my intel imac using an ISO downloaded from MSDNAA. I can't seem to make this into a bootable disc, having tried numerous tricks. My system will either produce a blank screen with a flashing DOS-style cursor on boot-up, or when i tried with a re-downloaded iso it will boot into the win7 install screen but then claim that I am missing some drivers. All suggestions welcome on this deeply vexing issue. :Grimmace:

Reaction score
Gunga-Din....I am also trying to download the win7x64 from MSDNAA. How did you get it to download? Did you use boot camp? I can't figure out how to get it to actually download. Thanks for any help.

Reaction score
Gunga-Din....I am also trying to download the win7x64 from MSDNAA. How did you get it to download? Did you use boot camp? I can't figure out how to get it to actually download. Thanks for any help.

I don't understand your question. If you're logged in to MSDNAA using your school or college subscription, search for 'windows 7' in the software section and x64 should be one of the download options. You don't need bootcamp to download a file.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21.5", 3.06 GHz intel Core 2 duo, ATI Radeon HD 4670 graphics with 256MB
MSDNAA gives you an .exe file that starts a download. I downloaded it on my windows machine. I burned it from my imac but it wasn't bootable. I burned it from my windows machine and it booted, but I am getting the same error talked about earlier, it boots into the windows 7 installation but then when I tell it to install it says that I am missing cd/dvd drivers, so it won't continue. I'm not sure what to do to get those drivers that it is missing. Just to test I started an xp installation from a cd and it worked fine. I'd hoped that just doing that would have set up a driver for the DVD but it didn't. If a solution is found for this I would appreciate it

Reaction score
I don't understand your question. If you're logged in to MSDNAA using your school or college subscription, search for 'windows 7' in the software section and x64 should be one of the download options. You don't need bootcamp to download a file.

Sorry. I do understand now.. just been reminded that the MSDNAA download requires you to use an .exe file as the installer. Guess you would need to download from Windows via bootcamp or use VMware.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.