iTunes Migration

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 + Mac Pro 8-core 6Gb
41Gb of my treasured sound is simple to transfer with file sharing from old G4 to Mac Pro. The artist folder structure is all there

I need to make sure all the ratings, date added, all the playlist, smart playlist and other details get in there too, and I think it's all there in an XML file, in the standard place on primary startup disk, working fine. When I copy this 10Mb XML to the iTunes folder of the Mac Pro and start it, it replaces it with a fresh new one of 20kb.

I can't quite copy the whole structure just over, because many years ago my growing iTunes library outstretched the primary 80Gb disk of the G4. I moved it to a new drive with no problems with the Change... button to point the application to the folder. Now there's a pointer to every MP3 in the XML library to that folder. How do I get those valuable settings migrated?

I can't understand why even using the Change... button now won't get the Mac Pro to look at the hierarchial folder. It's right there where it should be. The top left Music item in iTunes is still empty! It should recognise 6,000+ tunes. What have I done wrong?

Both machines were on iTunes 9.0.1 before I started

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.