Upgraded 2gb to 4gb RAM, blank screen on startup

Reaction score
Hey all,
per some advice in another post, i ordered the following RAM for my MBP (early 2008 version), since my mac can upgrade and utilize 4gb.

Newegg.com - Crucial 4GB (2 x 2GB) 200-Pin DDR2 SO-DIMM DDR2 667 (PC2 5300) Dual Channel Kit Laptop Memory Model CT2KIT25664AC667 - Laptop Memory

it is the same type of RAM that is currently in my MBP 200dimm 5300 667mhz.

when i put both of the 2gb sticks in i get a black screen at start up.
when i put the stock RAM back in it works fine.
when i put one of the 2GB sticks and one of the 1 GB sticks in, it also works, and registers as 3GB.

it's probably worth mentioning that any combination of the sticks seems to work in, regardless of the dimm, except when both of the 2GB sticks are in at the same time.

i'm confident that i'm pushing the RAM in the whole way, since it works some times. i've seen similar threads, but no solutions for this. any help would be appreciated.

thanks

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
i'm confident that i'm pushing the RAM in the whole way, since it works some times. i've seen similar threads, but no solutions for this. any help would be appreciated.

What do you mean "it works some times"? Do you mean inserting the 2 x 2 GB modules will work sometimes and sometimes not?

Your machine can very definitely utilize 4 GB of memory. (2 x 2 GB modules)
If it will work OK with both 1 GB modules or 1 x 1 GB module and either 1 x 2 GB module, then we know that the memory slots are OK.

It sounds like the 2 GB modules are not matched and won't work together. That's about the only thing I can think of.

Regards.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Perhaps not MBP compatible. Did you read this under Cons from that link:-

Cons: Tried installing on my mb 2.2 ghz(late '07) only got black screen. tried leaving in 1 and it did work. computer saw 1 mod, however for some reason doesn't work with both mods. call Crucial and was told that i need different revision model form my laptop. makes no sense to me that one would work but not both. disappointed since i placed order on sat. and had to wait till wed to receive and not working

OP
D
Reaction score
sorry, by "it works sometimes" i meant that the 2gb work when paired with the stock ram.

i must have missed that review when going through the comments, i thought i read all the ones related to macs, and they seemed positive.

i guess i should contact crucial, even though i bought it through newegg?

i know that ram is most efficient in pairs, so would i see any performance gain with the 3gb rather than the stock 2gb that is paired?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15 inch 2.4ghz Peryn 4 gig
I but almost all my stuff from newegg, I would just RMA it through them, they are really understanding, and you probably only have to pay return shipping. For my early 2008 MBP I bought the G.Skill kit works like a charm

Newegg.com - G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 200-Pin DDR2 SO-DIMM DDR2 667 (PC2 5300) Dual Channel Kit Laptop Memory Model F2-5300CL5D-4GBSA - Laptop Memory

newegg has some of the best customer support I would recommend you use it

And as far as pairing or not pairing goes, it depends if you are running virtual machines, or other programs that use more than 2 gigs of ram and you start having to use swap virtual memory 3 gigs will be faster than paired two, and I assume since you wanted to upgrade to four in the first place you are feeling limited by your current 2 gigs.

OP
D
Reaction score
i do use parallels quite frequently, it is one of the reason that i wanted the additional ram, that and video editing. after spending a few hours reading around yesterday, it seems like it is the MBP causing the problems, not the RAM. That's why I'm sort of hesitant about returning it to Newegg. I dont know if they'd take it back if both dimms work independently

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.