Seagate Momentus 500gb 7200 issues

Reaction score
I just got my new MPB 13, dropped in 4 g of ram and put in the momentus. The startup is AWFUL!!! My husband has the exact same machine but OEM (2g ram, 160g hard drive). I started them at the exact same time and was already cruising the web with his by the time mine decided to boot. After startup, mine performs faster (minimally) but that startup is making me think of going to the WD blue 500.

How do I fix it?

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
EDIT: I removed my previous comments, because I'm not sure the exact model number of the drive.

Can you open System Profiler (Apple menu => About this Mac => More Info => Serial ATA =>) and get the exact model number for me?

It should be something like ST9320421ASG (although it will differ, this is the model number of my drive, which is only 320GB).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13'' Macbook Pro 2.26 Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo 2 GB 1067 Mhz DDR3 500 GB 7200rpm HD
Yea deff reset your PRAM. Mine was really slow as well. However it was slow with Leopard. Then when snow leopard came out I upgraded and I guess it reset the PRAM because after installing snow leopard my boot up time is now only 15 seconds vs 45 seconds.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.