New Macbook User But No Programs Now.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP with Snow Leopard
I bought a new macbookpro and I love it thus far but I now have no programs that are compatible with OSX. I need to find an ftpclient, something similar to Photoshop and Dreamwear that are not super expensive. I would prefer free if they exist and are legal of course. I miss these programs and need something similar. Please help me stay with the mac. I won't give up yet unless its going to cost me lots to get these things.

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP with Snow Leopard
Best free must have apps?

What are the best must have apps that the mac user should have?

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
There are, frankly, too many to list. You might get more useful responses if you seek applications for specific tasks..

I.E., IM'ing with Adium, Deleting application fully/cleanly with AppCleaner, watching videos with VLC and so on..

Regards

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" Unibody Macbook Pro, Iphone 4 16G
Pandora internet radio is awesome, put in a song name and it generates music for hours in that genre or style.

Accuweather i think is way better for weather, its a lot more descriptive, gives hourly, and 15-day forecast.

Craigsphone, for Craigslist browsing, is an OK program, not designed that well but i use craigslist all the time.

FML- F My life is a funny website that people post their bad stories to, pretty funny

Boxed in- A really fun game, puzzle like, gotta push boxes around to get out of each level, 50 levels, its free too

Big Oven- its a cool cookbook program, on occasion i need a recipe for something when I'm at the store, its helpful

There definitely is a lot of good apps, these are just the ones I've kept on my phone.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook 13" 2.13GHz - Intel Core 2 Duo 2GB DDR2 Memory - 160GB HD - NVIDIA GeForce 9400M
Quicksilver and NameMangler are my favorites for straight up productivity with the OS itself.

I could name a bunch more, but like Raz0rEdge says, I doubt the solutions I've found would be of use to the average user, such as Blender for 3D modeling and TextWrangler for text editing.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac * 2.8 Ghz Intel Core i7 * 16GB 1333 Mhz DDR3 * 1TB HD *AMD Radeon HD 6770M 512 MB
For ftp clients, check out CyberDuck, a very easy to use, simplified client, or FileZilla, a more traditional client. Both are free.

Gimp is a free Mac equivalent for Photoshop. Not sure about Dreamweaver, hopefully someone else can recommend something.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
I bought a new macbookpro and I love it thus far but I now have no programs that are compatible with OSX.

Welcome. There is a plethora of software out there. As you Google, make sure you just suffix your query with "mac".

I need to find an ftpclient,

I use CyberDuck

something similar to Photoshop

The GIMP is free. If you want a more polished, commercial type of program, check out Pixelmator.

and Dreamwear that are not super expensive.

Dreamweaver is the Cadillac of web editors. If you don't want to purchase the Mac version, you'll need to settle for lesser editors. The one I like is called RapidWeaver.

I would prefer free if they exist and are legal of course. I miss these programs and need something similar. Please help me stay with the mac. I won't give up yet unless its going to cost me lots to get these things.

Of course, if you already own this software for Windows, you can easily run it under Windows either via virtualization or Boot Camp.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Model Identifier: iMac9,1 Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo Processor Speed: 2.66 GHz
Code:
I need to find an ftpclient, something similar to Photoshop and 
Dreamwear that are not super expensive.

I use Filezilla for ftp and find that it works fine.

Gimp is an alternative to Photoshop but I find it a bit geeky - I don't like the way the windows are spread all over the screen and it is not very intuitive. Pixelmator is an alternative, which has the same issue of mini windows, but which I think is designed better - priced, but not expensive - $59.00 - Pixelmator. As for Dreamweaver - I think it is available for the Mac, but is pretty expensive. I've tried all the html editors for the Mac and have found nothing to match Homesite (which is the editing engine under Dreamweaver). My solution has been to get VMFusion and have a Windows XP virtual machine on the Mac. It works perfectly, so stuff I can't afford to runs on the PC and I can switch from PC to Mac by pressing a key - you don't need to use Boot Camp to install VMFusion. There's also a freeware alternative for creating virtual machines on the Mac, Virtual Box - VirtualBox. I haven't tried it but others find that it works well.

For other stuff, check out Open Source Mac - Free Mac software, all open-source, all OS X.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13 inch alMacBook 2GHz C2D 4G DDR3, 1.25GHz G4 eMac
You could get photosop cs 3 for 128 bucks from Amazon. Not bad. That's what I'm running. Of course there are free opensource programs and stuff, but Adobe does it best.

As stated, CyberDuck for ftp, quicksilver for... well.. it's not so self explanitory... it just makes life way cooler, adium for instant messaging (all chat clients), openoffice, acquisition, tomatotorrent, others.

Reaction score
I agree that photoshop cs is great, as is imageready cs. Microsoft Office is essential. Gameranger is great for mac gaming. A fun one is Celestia, which is free.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.