"delete" key

dsi

Reaction score
Hello,

Can someone tell me what to do with this?

My delete key use to work as backspace, and w/ the press of commond, it'll works as delete.

For some reason, the delete key only works as delete (as in delete key in windows keyboard) and only do backspacing w/ the key "shift" being pressed down.

Is there a way to change it back the way it was?

Thanks in advance.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unibody MacBook Pro 2.26, 4gb RAM, 500gb HD
Typically, the delete key functions as the backspace key on a PC keyboard.

Function-Delete works like the Delete key on a PC keyboard.

Command-Delete erases everything to the left of the cursor.

Not sure if Shift-Delete has any special function...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White MacBook. iLife '09. iWork '09. Mac OS X 10.6
I'm not sure what's going on with you MacBook Pro! In general, the "delete key" functions as both delete and backspace. You're not supposed to have a separate key for that.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
Typically, the delete key functions as the backspace key on a PC keyboard.

Function-Delete works like the Delete key on a PC keyboard.

Command-Delete erases everything to the left of the cursor.

Not sure if Shift-Delete has any special function...

When he said "shift" the way he did, I'm guessing he meant the Fn key and not actually the Shift key.

To the OP, Jaygray is correct, there is nothing wrong with your computer. It's functioning as it should.

OP
D

dsi

Reaction score
I really do mean the key "Shift".

Supposingly:

Mac "Delete" : like Win's "Backspace"
Mac "Fn"+"Delete" : like Win's "Delete"

However, on my MBP now are as follow:

My Mac "Delete" : like Win's "Delete"
My Mac "Sft"+"Delete" : like Win's "Backspace"
My Mac "Fn"+"Delete" : like Win's "Delete", same as I just pressing the "Delete" key on my Mac.

:Angry:

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Try going into System Preferences - Keyboard and reset defaults. Log out and back in after.

If still not working - try logging in as another user and to check if it's the same or not.

OP
D

dsi

Reaction score
Does anyone have any idea? I don't want to reinstall everything if possible... I have projects that's like 12-15Gb that i need for work... hard to back those up.... :\

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
did it do the same as another user?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unibody MacBook /intel core 2 duo/ 2GB RAM/250GB HD/Snow Leopard...iPhone 4 (:
bring it to your local Apple store and have them check it out. it's probably just something in the settings that you accidentally hit. Also try to Google your problem, maybe you can find help that way.

Reaction score
try going to your keyboard preferences and restoring all the defaults (there is a button to do this i believe).

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Does anyone have any idea? I don't want to reinstall everything if possible... I have projects that's like 12-15Gb that i need for work... hard to back those up.... :\

1. Did you do this?
Try going into System Preferences - Keyboard and reset defaults. Log out and back in after.

2. Did you do this?

If still not working - try logging in as another user and to check if it's the same or not.

and what was the result while logged in as a different user?

3. Hard to back up? No, it's not. If you do not have all your important data backed up, you will have much bigger problems than how the delete key functions when your drive fails. I would suggest working towards getting a backup prior to anything else.

OP
D

dsi

Reaction score
I actually try all the things mentioned above... i even got it into the Apple store. They looked at it like they never saw a MBP kind a look. They were all shock and some said mother board is gone, while some others said it's the keyboard... but they want me to leave the MBP with them for a few week which i can not afford to do so... :Angry:

Problems w/ backing up is that my MBP won't write to a NTFS HDD and a Fat32 won't take any files that's over 4Gb.

Reaction score
I had a problem like that with my macbook saving 2 a ntfs drive but I just dragged and dropped and it worked fine for me so try that. Did your local store sell apple products? If not don't believe what they say cuz they wouldn't know anything about them.

OP
D

dsi

Reaction score
O... i tried that and it won't allow me to move any files that's over 4GB.

Those local stores are the Apple store.... and were those technicans from the Apple Store that I was talking to. :Confused:

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.