Data transfer between an iMac and a Macbook Pro

Reaction score
Hi folks,

As the title may suggest I'm trying to get my lady's data transferred off my computer (2007 iMac) to her shiny new Macbook Pro (lucky girl!)

I've tried:

firewire 800 in target mode, in every of connecting the cable, shutting down, restart in target mode (system prefs and holding down T), both computers, the other computer etc... I think you get the idea?!!

ethernet: working (as I type) but it's SOOOO slow... 9 hours to shift 25gig???

bluetooth: works.. but slow...

I haven't tried via wireless networking as I haven't found the right instructions yet...

Ok, so my query is, what's the fastest, most surefire way to transfer large amounts of data within one's lifetime between my iMac and her Macbook Pro...

I hope this isn't covered elsewhere (I did several searches within the forums)

I also have read bad things about migration...

Any suggestions?

Many, many thanks...

Dee Dee

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
About the only other method left that you haven't tried, is to copy the data from your iMac to a Firewire 800 hard drive and then from the same hard drive to her machine. Should be faster than BT, ethernet, and Target Mode.

Regards.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac C2D (Penryn) 2.8 GHz 4GB RAM
I also have read bad things about migration...

I don't know what you've heard about Migration Assistant but I've used it several times while upgrading my Mac's and it has worked beautifully.

I even used it when I went from a PPC to an Intel Mac and, against a lot of opinions, I included my Apps. Except for a couple that I had to reinstall to get working it was great!

OP
S
Reaction score
cheers but still so slow....

hey...

thanks for your responses...

yes, the simplest method would be a firewire drive... perhaps i can convince her to bite the bullet and get a drive. After all, backing up data is most desirable...

as for migration assistant, i tried that this morning and it doesn't let you choose what files to transfer: it takes the lot (that sits on Mac HD)... she doesn't need my audio software or samples!!

so i'm back to the drawing board...

thanks for your replies: i guess it's the hard drive or the incredibly slow dropbox method...

cheers... but i am open to more suggestions!

ta...

dd

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27 iMac+Thunderbolt, iMac 21,
Hi folks,

I've tried:

firewire 800 in target mode, in every of connecting the cable, shutting down, restart in target mode (system prefs and holding down T), both computers, the other computer etc... I think you get the idea?!!

Many, many thanks...

Dee Dee
I just started my MBP in Target mode connected with a 800 Firewire and ran Migration assistant on the new iMac and it all copied across quickly - u sure you are taking the correct steps.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
| '09 24" iMac 3.06 8GB | '09 iPhone 3GS 32GB | '09 ATV 1.16TB | '07 23" ACD | '06 15" MBP |
Yeah I copied 140 gigs from my MBP to my iMac in 5hrs tops using firewire 400-800 cable...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.