what does the NS stand for?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook 13" 2.13GHz - Intel Core 2 Duo 2GB DDR2 Memory - 160GB HD - NVIDIA GeForce 9400M
Silly question, I know, but it should be quick and easy to answer.

I've done some cli C++ and a little C# to do some math programs. Now that I have a fast computer I'm trying to get back into Xcode and I've done a few tutorials and feel that I'm making great progress. But there is one thing that's bothering me and I'm surprised I haven't come across the answer yet.

I see the IB prefix on so much of the code and it obviously stands for Interface Builder, which helps me understand what I'm doing.

But what does NS stand for? :[

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
NS stands for NextSTEP which was a software from Next which Apple acquired. They've stuck with it..it basically means it belongs to the Cocoa framework..

Regards

OP
joeyboots
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook 13" 2.13GHz - Intel Core 2 Duo 2GB DDR2 Memory - 160GB HD - NVIDIA GeForce 9400M
Thank you very much. That actually helps me a lot because it keeps my brain from getting distracted over what that could possibly mean anymore.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.