How do I wipe my G4's Hard Drive?

Reaction score
I want to wipe my powerbook G4 15" (1.1) before I give it to someone but I'm not sure how. I don't have any of the discs that came with it unfortunately as it's a long time ago I bought it. I do have a Mac OS X install DVD (version 10.5.6) and the applications install DVD which I got with my new macbook.

Any help would be much appreciated.

thanks in advance

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Unfortunately, those other discs are Intel-only, so no luck there.

Probably the least expensive way to do it would be to find and burn a Linux live disc that is compiled for PPC. Boot off the disc and then use one of the disk utilities that comes with most Linux distros (can't think of the name off the top of my head) and format the drive.

EDIT: Here's a link for a PPC compile of Ubuntu that should be appropriate for you.

http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/ports/releases/intrepid/release/ubuntu-8.10-alternate-powerpc.iso

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 500GB hard drive 4GB ram PowerMac G5 Dual 2.2GHz Mirrored 500GB HDD, Mac Mini, and more
It depends on how securely you want to wipe your stuff... a fresh install is always best format and reinstall..

But if you are not worried about someone using sophisticated tools to go after your data .. you can create a new admin user name it User log in with that and delete your user not keeping files .. and search around the hard drive to make sure it got every thing..

the only thing that should be left is the name of the computer and your name on programs that you have registered..

Hope that helps a little bit.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.