Time Machine backing up slowly!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook, 2.1ghz, 4gb ram, 250gb hd
Time Machine is suddenly running really, really slow. As in over the last 7 minutes, it's backed up 17kb. It's going to take years at this rate! If I did my math correctly, it'll take around 8 hours just to back up 1mb... It's gonna take it a long time to get up to 4.2gb!

I've experienced no problems with it in the past. My last backup was on sunday. Then after that, I swapped out my drive with a larger one, and restored onto that.

I know the initial backup takes a long time, but this isn't an initial.. The files are all still the same, it's just a different drive. So I don't know if the drive swap necessarily has anything to do with it, but I figured it seemed to coincidental to leave the info out of the post!

We're up to 26kb now... Screaming along! ;D

Thanks a lot

(BTW, it's a 2008 base model white macbook, upgraded to 4gb of ram, and a 250gb seagate hd, and I'm using a 1.5tb seagate USB external to backup to. 1gb partition for time machine, and the remainder for other data)

OP
R
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook, 2.1ghz, 4gb ram, 250gb hd
Well never mind... After about 40 minutes, it made a *huge* jump up to 2mb having been backed up.... Then I checked a couple minutes later, and it was at 190mb, and climbing fast. So now over 1gb, and it shouldn't take too much longer.

I'd delete the post, but I'll leave it in case someone else ends up searching someday, and can hear that letting it sit for a while was all it needed!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.