Fresh install of Snow Leopard (Need advice)

Reaction score
I've had my MacBook Pro for about 2 years now, with Leopard on it. Instead of doing a fresh install when Snow Leopard came out, I just upgraded Leopard to Snow Leopard. My question is, if I decided to do a clean install of Snow Leopard and restored everything through Time Machine, would this be counter-productive? I have too many programs, files, and settings to lose if I didn't use Time Machine to restore everything, plus it would be a big pain. Basically, would all of the junk files from Leopard just be put right back on my cleaned off Snow Leopard?

Sorry in advance if there is already a post about this.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" early 2006 iMac 1,5GB RAM & 1TB HDD
Yes, it will. Personally, I just copied documents and apps over, leaving my whole Library folder (for example) behind, never to be seen again. This is because I have gone thru hundreds of apps, and personally can't withstand all the residues that deleting leaves behind, unless you use something like App Zapper (and even then rarely it's 100% clean). Anyway, I recommend just copying your files over and starting completely from scratch, it's good to do now and then.

OP
S
Reaction score
Yeah, I kept putting off reinstalling, so now I am at this crossroad. I do use AppCleaner and am fairly satisfied with it. So basically, I should copy my programs and files and start from scratch is what you're saying? I'm trying to use Time Machine as my source for everything when I reformat. Should I just pick files and programs from Time Machine when I reformat or what? I'm just trying to get the best solution to when I reinstall, so it isn't a huge headache and my computer can be the same as it was before, just less junk.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 27" Late 2013 - 3.5GHz Core i7 - 32GB RAM - GTX 780< 4GB GPU
I did as adrian_AGB suggested with my iMac...full scrape and pave w/SL the day it was released (zero patience). I reloaded all of the programs I use on a regular basis and leave the others alone until I need them. When I do I go to the software manufacturer's web site to determine if they had a newer version of the program than what I had saved on Time Machine. Even if there isn't I usually download the program anyway rather then pulling it off TM. That way I always have the lastest/greatest without the residual bits. It's probably not at all necessary but I get some odd satisfaction from it.

I did a regular upgrade with my MacBook and Mac Mini. All three are humming along just fine.

Does it make a difference? I've no idea other than it seems to get rid of some little annoyances now and then. I use my iMac daily and some of the same programs on my MB and a few on my Mini so I really don't have a apples to apples comparison (get it?...oh, never mind). I just feel good about having a "clean" install on my main computer now and then. I also like the fact that I only have the data on the hard drive that I really need. YMMV.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.