• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Intel has shipped its Dual Core processors

Reaction score
Still haven't found them for sale though... I hope this means that Apple will have some dual core offerings soon.

E

Ex_PC_Puke

Yep - This was the running topic of the day for the past year at Intel. This means one of 2 things has happened - either they finished up the work on providing cheap(er) liquid cooling to the cpu which is using traditional desktop cores ----- or they are using mobile cores -- with speed step technology to allow each core to drop its speed based on load - plus more power effecient in general ..... otherwise this baby would burst into flames or sound like a hoover vacume.

Keep in mind that a little over a year ago Intel had to torpedo ints "next gen" desktop cpu - Tejas - because the major OEMs balked at the power and thermal requirements - this was a huge deal because tejas was well over 1/2 way complete in development .... hundreds of millions $$$ down the crapper.

I'm betting on the mobile cores -- this would be a bitter pill to swallow because they would be selling mobile cores for desktop prices which would force them to sell mobile cores at a cheaper price too.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac G5 17", 1.8 Ghz, 1GB RAM
Sorry for my pretty silly question, but what is a Dual Core processor? And what is the difference from the processors that coe with the Macs now?

OP
M
Reaction score
From http://www.short-media.com/review.php?r=261

A dual core processor is between a single core processor and a dual processor system for architecture. A dual core processor has two cores but will share some of the other hardware like the memory controller and bus. A dual processor system has completely separate hardware and shares nothing with the other processor.

I want a Dual Core G4 Powerbook, I feel it is more likely to happen than a G5 PB.

K

Kokopelli

mynameis said:
I want a Dual Core G4 Powerbook, I feel it is more likely to happen than a G5 PB.

Maybe and maybe not. There are dual core G4s that would work in a PB right now. In order to get a G5 in a PowerBook there are still some significant hurdles to overcome. Unless IBM manages to cut the thermal output of the G5 down considerably it would not be practical for a laptop even if they do come up with a way to keep the processer itself cool. Think how hot current PBs are getting.

EDIT: Oops misread your post. I thought you said G5 PB was more likely than a dual core G4. Personally I would rather have the dual core G4.

OP
M
Reaction score
The first systems with this processor in it are shipping from Dell on Monday, too bad they cost $3000.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.