stereo to mono playback: software solution?

Reaction score
hi guys,

is there some kind of plug-in or software solution that will "combine" or "mix" both the left and right channels of audio output into just one of them?

i am connecting my macbook to a TV that has only one mono audio input. i realize i could just get a stereo-to-mono audio cable, but i was wondering if there was a software solution for this. VLC did not seem to have this setting.

OP
L
Reaction score
i'll be connecting my macbook to my mono TV, and was planning to use a standard mini-to-dual-stereo-RCA cable - but i would only be able to plug in either the left or the right channel.

of course, i could just buy a mini-to-mono cable, which i will do if i cannot achieve this via software.

Reaction score
I just realize this is only for converted files so I'm not sure if you like this.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
best advice - buy the cable

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.