Install osx from usb

Reaction score
My dvd drive on my powerbook just broke is there a way i can boot from a 8gb flash drive and install OSX. I found instructions on the net but their for use on a mac, and i can only use a pc at the moment to install osx on the flash drive.

please help!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2013 rMBP, i7, 750m gpu, OSX versions 10.9.3, 10.10
Normally, you can't boot a powerbook from a USB device - you're stuck with only being able to boot from HD, CDRom, firewire device and possibly over a network.

That being said, there is a "work around" that involves fiddling with some nvram settings. I can't guarantee functionality, and that you won't completely hose your machine, but you can look here:

macosxhints.com - Boot PowerPC Macs via USB 2.0 drives

OP
R
Reaction score
Normally, you can't boot a powerbook from a USB device - you're stuck with only being able to boot from HD, CDRom, firewire device and possibly over a network.

That being said, there is a "work around" that involves fiddling with some nvram settings. I can't guarantee functionality, and that you won't completely hose your machine, but you can look here:

macosxhints.com - Boot PowerPC Macs via USB 2.0 drives

thanks am going to give it a try, but i still don't know how to install the os on the usb on a pc.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Was the 10.6 a misprint? 10.6 will only install on an Intel Mac and not a Powerbook. Just letting you know in case.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I know there's a way to make a bootable usb key from the OSX DVD even on a PC, but I can't find the directions atm =(

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" early 2006 iMac 1,5GB RAM & 1TB HDD
First of all, you would have to enable booting from USB on the PPC.
The, basically, what you want to do is copy the DVD completely -block by block- to the USB drive. You might be able to trick some live USB creator (for linux made to run on windows) in to thinking that your DVD is Ubuntu or something, and getting it to create a Live USB of it.
A quick read-over of this page gives me the idea it's what you're searching for:4 Ways to Create Bootable Live USB Drives (For Windows, Linux and Mac OS X) ~ Web Upd8.
If I see some mac specific instructions I'll post back.
You might also need a tool to transform the DVD to a disc image, like ISO CD DVD image creator, editor and ISZ DMG DAA UIF to ISO converter - UltraISO can extract/create/edit/convert CD and DVD image files directly, make bootable CDs and convert ISZ DMG DAA UIF to ISO., which I got from google, I have not tried it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
An 8GB USB Flash Drive will not hold the contents of a Leopard DL DVD install system, and the instruction about booting from a USB drive are for very limited machines only, G5 mainly, and G4s are notoriously difficult to boot from any USB device.

Perhaps a Firewire external optical drive might be the go, but suggest if you intend to keep the 'book, see if you can run to getting a new internal fitted. Necessary for installing OS, running Repair Disk etc under Disk Utility.

Good luck and keep us posted?

Reaction score
Ummmmmm... I booted 10.6 from an external HD, and had 10.4 on my MAC HD. When I held down OPTION key on reboot, I was able to choose what I wanted to launch -- which happened to be MAC HD, external USB and CD/DVD - if any was plugged in. maybe u could try that.

I have a MBP, Intel dual core etc...

..but yes, random keys on startup are awesome.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You have a different system Bamava - the OP has a PPC based Mac which by default doesn't support USB based device booting, much less, he can't boot snow leopard even if the OP could boot from USB.

To harryb: if you're making an install USB drive, the Leopard DVD will fit on an 8 gig thumb without a problem - it just won't fit if you try to install to the thumb drive. Leopard, even tho on a DL DVD does not use the entire space available to it. I do know this because I had put Leopard on a 8 Gig thumb drive to do an install once (although I used my Mac Pro to make it, not a windows based PC; I know there are instructions out there on how to make one using windows or Linux if that's all you have available.)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Why the heck would I want to do the above?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.