Security issue: lockpad doesn't work system wide

Reaction score
No matter if I enter system preferences and for example want to change login items or if I choose a file/folder and get file info, the lock (icon) that should prevent me from making any changes (when locked) doesn't work. I can change whatever I want without unlocking it. When I click to unlock it, it asks for a password as it should, but when I lock it back I can still change permissions and whatever I like. Here's a movie showing the problem.

http://www.snakeinthepocket.com/osx_lock.mov

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2013 rMBP, i7, 750m gpu, OSX versions 10.9.3, 10.10
Files that are owned by you work that way - if you navigate to other ares of your hard drive and attempt to modify the permissions on a file or folder not owned by you - you would not be able to change it - for example, if you open up your Macintosh HD, and do Get Info on say the Users folder, you'll see the permissions are grayed out - you don't have permission to change them without an administrative password.

It's similar to using chmod in linux/unix/bsd/OSX, you can chmod the settings on files you own all you want, but if you want to do them to someone elses files, you need to either be root, or be able to use sudo.

In terms of login items - you shouldn't have to unlock anything to change your own login items, only the login items of other users. The lock on that page relates to manipulating users mostly other then yourself, including adding, removing or making changes to those other users which requires administrative (or root) access.

OP
R
Reaction score
It wasn't like that in 10.5. You had to unlock before making any changes. Thanx anyway.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2013 rMBP, i7, 750m gpu, OSX versions 10.9.3, 10.10
It's possible that they have changed that to make it more the way permissions normally operate on unix platforms not requiring you to do something special to change the permissions on files that you own.

Honestly, I never had to make permission/ownership changes when I was running 10.5, so I never experienced the way it was in 10.5

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.