Makes tick nose when battery cover is pressed on. Even while power is off.

Reaction score
I just bought a new Macbook Pro (Unibody, non-user serviceable battery) and I noticed a peculiar tick noise. This noise ticks just once and it is very faint. At first I thought it was coming from my speakers when I clicked on a link or a button.

As I explored the source of this noise I noticed that it happened if I put a slight pressure on the middle of the battery cover. In fact I can hear the slight tick even if I press on it while the computer is off. Can anyone else hear this nose?
Is it normal?

Of course this becomes a problem when the notebook is on my lap or on a bed. As I type or lift the laptop to put it away I can here this click noise.

Reaction score
MacBook Pro Unibody tick nose when battery cover is pressed

I am experiencing the same issue. At first it was just a slight sound that didn't happen too often but now it happens every time I rest my hands on the computer. The bottom seems to get hotter than when I first got it as well. I just purchased it in August of 2009. I have the 17" Antiglare with solid state drive. It is getting very frustrating to hear that all the time now. I took it to a genius at the Apple Store because I was concerned that it was electrical but he assured me it wasn't. We agreed that it must be the aluminum shell and I left it at that but now I am frustrated that it is doing it even more. Makes me very concerned that something is coming loose and will cause a problem with all my data on it. I am going to call Apple to see about getting it replaced but what a hassle. Is anyone else having this issue? Very curious now.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 13"
I have this same problem.

I found out the source of it.

I took apart my MBP and found out that one of the screws at the top of my case was shorter than the rest, causing this noise to happen when I pushed on it.

This could be the same for you.

Only solution is to get new screws, does anyone know if they are available at the Apple Store?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.