can at&t see your private text messages on iphone

Reaction score
im kind of curious ......can at&t associates/tech reps see the text messages that you send?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16GHz C2D MacBook w/ 2GB RAM & 120GB HD. HTC Droid Incredible.
No but I believe the courts can subpoena for text messages if needed.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro, iMac G3, 3 iPods, iPhone 3G
I think Eric is right, yet there are privacy Laws... (out of the courtroom)

OP
M
Reaction score
I think Eric is right, yet there are privacy Laws... (out of the courtroom)

so legally they cant just do it without a court order but say a tech rep was bored could he/she casually browse through your texts "for fun"?

my gf and i were being very explicit last night in texting LOl...I didnt think about it at the time but i was wondering if the next time i call in they will be able to see all my infromation and all the stuff i typed

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15", 2.16 ghz, 1GB ram, 120GB; iPod Classic 80GB; iPod shuffle (2nd gen); iPhone 16gb
I don't think there'd be any law against sending explicit text messages to your girlfriend.

I bloody hope my network can't see my texts. If even I can't remember sending them after a night out, I sure don't want anyone else reading them.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Against the rules to look at those texts, those are private messages but since you are using AT&T's network, it (officially) belongs to them and is stored should they need to be produced under a court order..

So "carry on"..;)

Regards

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro, iMac G3, 3 iPods, iPhone 3G
I wouldn't be worried about some nosy At&t rep (again there are privacy laws) but I'm sure someone else has written much worse things to his girlfriend... It's not like your gonna walk into your local At&t store and one of the reps is gonna look at you and give you the "I know what you did last night look". As long as my mother can't monitor them I'm good.

Reaction score
so legally they cant just do it without a court order but say a tech rep was bored could he/she casually browse through your texts "for fun"?

my gf and i were being very explicit last night in texting LOl...I didnt think about it at the time but i was wondering if the next time i call in they will be able to see all my infromation and all the sh*T i typed

nope the customer service reps do NOT have access to any of the actual network elements. Only The Network Technicians and engineers do, hey can actually read the messages, but it is a violation of company policy if it is used for anything other than verifying the txt are not corrupted, or that they are actually being sent out.

if an employee actually pulls this data they ill be fired for doing so.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13'' Macbook Pro 2.26 Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo 2 GB 1067 Mhz DDR3 500 GB 7200rpm HD
OMG that is scary!!! AHHHHHH

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
here is an eye opener

YouTube - Cell Phone Spy Software - Beware

I have know the feds could do some of this for several years now, but now anyone can do it

That almost seems like it's not even real. It's scary how much technology is sometimes. The bit where they can listen in on you even when you aren't even using your phone was the scariest bit to me.

Especially since we always carry around our cell phones with us, and have it right next to us all the time.

Just a rule of thumb for stuff like this. I would not write or say anything on something that can keep records, especially things you want to keep private.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air 13" Ultimate (2010)
One has to hold it for granted that all phone operators can see all text messages that are sent through their network, regardless of which kind of GSM-device is being used. So if you intend to send messages like "My nephew will fly from Amsterdam to Detroit with his PET(N) tomorrow", you might want to encrypt the message first. A steganography-based app is mentioned above.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
CAN they look at them? Yes. Are they allowed to do so? No.

There is one thing that I was taught some years ago by my then boss. It was applied to e-mail back then, but I think it should apply to all digital means of communication now. He told me to never send an e-mail that you wouldn't want the whole world knowing about. Once you release that data into the wild you have no idea where it will end up or who it will end up with. I believe the same applies to texting, forum posts, digital pictures and so on these days...

Now I have no problems with you sexting with your girlfriend. Jjust remember, NOTHING you put out on the web or any kind of wireless network is even remotely private anymore. everything is recorded, copied and saved to a database somewhere. That means that some, either legally or illegally, can access your information for whatever means they desire.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac,Macbook Pro
I agree with Crimson. Its getting to a point that we don't even know but everything is watching us. Our rights are slowly fading away. Im sure that they have "ways" of finding our texts if they indeed do need.

C

chas_m

If the OP is living in the United States, he should assume that all of his communications: email, text, voice calls and so forth -- are being recorded, stored and analyzed (by machine) for keywords.

Should those keywords appear, humans will review them.

There have been a number of stories of NSA workers and military authorities listening in on private conversations of troops and citizens strictly for their own amusement.

A typical example:
NSA enjoys eavesdropping on US soldiers' phone sex calls - Boing Boing

In the US you have nothing resembling privacy using electronic communication devices at all. Everything is stored indefinitely. Most of it is ignored, of course, but its all monitored.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.66GHz / 4GB / 320GB / Matte 15"
Think of it as though you have no privacy. Just like keystroke loggers on your work computer. I wouldn't lose sleep over it. Just remember everything you do is captured and can be read by the authorities & anyone else who's got the skill & motivation. Google is not your friend....heh!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.