A few things I miss after switching from Windows

Reaction score
Well, I've stated this before, but after a 2-week experiment with a third-hand eMac 700MHz, I bought a second-hand iMac 20" 2,16GHz model. Really really happy with it and wouldn't want anything else - too bad the company I work for won't let me bring it along to work in the office ;)

I've also got SL in the meanwhile which is absolutely amazing - I've always wanted a decent Exchange 2007 solution on previous Linux installations for instance.

Still, there are a few things that bug me for which I haven't found a solution yet. The 2 main things that bother me are:

1) A freeware, decent offline editor for Wordpress (I love Blogo, but don't use WP enough to validate a $25 purchase!)

2) Is it true that the only MP3-player that will sync with iTunes is an iPod?? I mean, I got a Creative Zen X-Fi 16Gb not too long ago and would love to integrate it with my Mac.. but apart from being able to set the removable SD card as a removable disk, which I can easily access through the Finder, it's still a hassle to really transfer music back and from the player that way.

Maybe I haven't looked into Wine enough, if a Mac OS X version actually exists, to use Blogo - but still I think it should be possible to find something alike as easily as, for instance, Blogdesk for Windows.

(Come to think of it, it'd be even better if Pages had a Wordpress publishing option built in!)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac * 2.8 Ghz Intel Core i7 * 16GB 1333 Mhz DDR3 * 1TB HD *AMD Radeon HD 6770M 512 MB
You could try downloading this for your Zen, though I hear it's kind of spotty.

XNJB - Download

Reaction score
Maybe Bootcamp? if you haven't got that already...

Reaction score
One True Thing that any Mac User who was with windows is that we miss the fact that we dont get to wish we want a mac :D MAC FTW !!!!!!!!

OP
J
Reaction score
Google : OSX offline editor for Wordpress
OSX offline editor for Wordpress - Google Search
:)

Thanks, I'm gonna try that first hit. It's just that I would like a decent piece of software that will let me add pictures and format the whole thing properly since the online editor from WP is a bad joke.. I've always been bad at finding stuff online (not computer illiterate here; heck, I've been working / playing with them for nearly 2 decades).

Although I admit that wishing for something is at least as much fun as eventually owning it doesn't apply - I love my Apple more than I originally anticipated :) There's a famous Dutch saying, which goes like.. 'Het hebben van de saeck, is het einde van het vermaeck' (it's ancient Dutch, 17th century I think). It means 'owning the desired, means the end of the joy'..

I'm starting to go astray - thanks for the posts as of now. XNJB looks really.. primitive... but I'll try it out when I get back home :)

Reaction score
There's a famous Dutch saying, which goes like.. 'Het hebben van de saeck, is het einde van het vermaeck' (it's ancient Dutch, 17th century I think). It means 'owning the desired, means the end of the joy'..

Well, that guy must have been really enlightened then, cause that's exactly what is happening today.

Stuff has gotten a lot cheaper, and our attitudes toward it have changed correspondingly…
Most of the stuff I accumulated was second to worthless, because I didn’t need it, really.

Then came the Mac......;D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Powerbook G4 12" 1.33GHZ 1.25GB(10.4.11, Powermac G3 350Mhz 640mb(10.4.11)
XNJB Is Fantastic! Although it looks aren't really up to scratch, its good for what it does :) Has lots of good little features too! I've use it with my Creative ZEN and its perfect! Although i do now want to get an ipod :) I'd love really good intergration with itunes :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookAir5,2:10.13.6-iMac18,3:10.13.6-iPhone9,3:11.4.1
Wine works for MAc, though I've had dubious results in 10.4 and 10.5. I haven't tried in on 10.6 yet. You might consider a trial download of Parallels, VMWare, etc and see if you get the windows functionality you need via virtualization. I use Parallels once a week to submit my company's MS Project based timesheet with fine results.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
You might consider a trial download of Parallels, VMWare, etc and see if you get the windows functionality you need via virtualization.
Depending on you needs, you could add VirtualBox to that list, which is free. You just need Windows.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13 inch macbook pro; 2.26 Ghz, 2GB RAM, 160 BG HD
Yay, my first post in mac-forums! I've made the switch to mac a week ago. I miss the simplicity of downloading programs in Windows, easy to get a shortcut (alias on the mac, which took me a while to figure out) on your desktop, and no .dmg files!!! : )

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
I find it easier to download/install and eventually uninstall programs in Mac than Windows by a long shot.

Also, to launch programs, I've found HimmelBar - Welcome to be a great help. It quietly sits in your Menu Bar and will give you quick access to the Applications and Utilities folders..

Regards

Reaction score
Is it true that the only MP3-player that will sync with iTunes is an iPod??

Yes, but that shouldn't be a problem. Do you buy your music from iTunes? If you don't, just drag the music that you download in to your MP3 player as it's plugged in by USB. If you do, go to your iTunes library and right click on the song, album, or artist. In the right click menu, click on "Show in Finder". This will bring up finder with all your "already downloaded" music files. Drag those to your MP3 player when it is plugged in to your Mac.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.