Classic environment is no longer supported?

Reaction score
Hi Everybody

I'm a Mac virgin who just switched from PC to iMac. I love my new machine and things have been fine until I tried to install my scanner CanoScan LiDE 80. When I try and run the software from the disc I get an error message Classic environment is no longer supported? Ok I thought need to go to the Canon site and download latest drivers, I tried this and all seemed to be fine with my machine asking to be restarted etc, but still no joy as I can't find the scanner to add in the add printer box. Not sure what I'm doing wrong, maybe downloading to the wrong destination? Not plugging the USB in until after restarting, but still no joy. Can anybody please give me some pointers? Another minor issue is I don't seem to be able to open multiple web pages in Safari and quickly flick between them? Doh I know this is really dumb and I'm sure there is a simple answer. Scanner is my main prob though as I need it for my Daughters homework.

Cheers

Tom

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13 inch alMacBook 2GHz C2D 4G DDR3, 1.25GHz G4 eMac
Well I can't speak to the scanner, because I don't know exactly what you're doing... but for multiple pages, they're called tabs. Command + Twill open a new one. command shift [ and ] will quickly switch between them, or you can select them on the tab bar with the mouse.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
If you want to switch between open windows, push Command-` (next to the 1 button).

Are you running OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard)? I am and if I run the installer from the disk image (I downloaded it from the Canon site), it seems to run fine. From the sounds of it though, you can install it fine. As noted here, you're going to need Rosetta installed. Have you got Rosetta installed?

OP
T
Reaction score
Many thx this is all news to me, I'll try all suggested and let you know, again many thanks.

OP
T
Reaction score
If you want to switch between open windows, push Command-` (next to the 1 button).

Are you running OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard)? I am and if I run the installer from the disk image (I downloaded it from the Canon site), it seems to run fine. From the sounds of it though, you can install it fine. As noted here, you're going to need Rosetta installed. Have you got Rosetta installed?

Hi I put in my snow leopard disc and selected the custom setting to install Rosetta, it went through all the motions of reinstalling, but I can't find any sign of it on my machine and its still not finding the scanner??? Help! Please!! Thx T

OP
T
Reaction score

Hi I put in my snow leopard disc and selected the custom setting to install Rosetta, it went through all the motions of reinstalling, but I can't find any sign of it on my machine and its still not finding the scanner??? Help! Please!! Thx T

OP
T
Reaction score
I've got the software in Aps, but get this message when I try to open it:
There is no default application specified to open the document ScanGear CS 7.2X.

Guess this means that I didn't manage to get Rosetta from my re install as that is the app needed to open the Canon software???

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Rosetta isn't something you see or launch directly - it runs in the background when needed.

What extension does that "ScanGear CS 7.2X" file have? If it was an application (.app), it should just launch.

Reaction score
Have you tried running Image Capture to see if it recognizes your scanner?

OP
T
Reaction score
Hi, thx for all your help, I got there in the end after a mammoth 4am session.

It was a link from the link that Vansmith kindly posted that did it. Didn't work first tme but I just kept at it and all of a sudden bingo!

Thanks again folks!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.