Snow Leopard Upgrade DVD or Boxset Query

Reaction score
Hi,

I have tried looking online and on apples website for the answer to this question but i can't find a simple yesor no answer.

I basically want to whipe the HD completely and perform a clean vanilla install of Snow leopard. Now, can this be done with the upgrade DVD at £25 or do ineed to buy the boxset at £129.

Soe people seems to say if you by the upgrade, you need toinstall leopard first, then do the upgrade to snow leopard whcih isn't what i want to do. I'veeven looked at some utube videos and they also say this as well.

many thans in advance, i simply want to install Snow leopard without needing any other version of Mac OS installed or need to isert the Disc for it to recognise it etc before hand. I'm relatively new to Macs so my mac mini at the moment holds no data i need to keep, it is basicalyl a bog stadard install of 10.5 and i've just been playing arouodn with it getting used to where thngs are etc so no data to keep whatsoever.

Many thanks

Kevin

Reaction score
Hey,

Firstly, I'm not exactly sure how the upgrade Snow Leopard Disc can be £25. I purchased the "Up-To-Date" DVD from the apple site for about $10 dollars, whereas the retail price at the apple store came out to be roughly $35. I believe the boxset allows you to install snow leopard for up to 5 computers so I don't think you'll be needing that...unless of course you do have 5 macs.

Now to answer your question, you CANNOT perform a clean install with the "up-to-date" dvd. You would have to install leopard first, then use the up-to-date dvd. If you want to perform a clean install, you will need to purchase the retail version from the apple store. I originally purchased the up-to-date dvd and didn't like the fact that I couldn't perform a clean install without having to install leopard first.

OP
K
Reaction score
Thanks for your reply.. here are the links..

Upgrade DVD:-
Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard - Apple Store (U.K.)

snow leopard boxset
Mac Box Set - Apple Store (U.K.)

They also do a Family pack whcih is what i thik you were referring to by allowing to install on upto 5 mahcines, and no, i definately don't need this, I have one intel mac mini and thats all. Reason for buyingthe mac mini was that i've never used one beofre so i went for the cheapest option icase i dont' get on with it for some reason, no point buyig a more expesive one just for it to sit there and do nothing.

is the boxset link the correct one for the Retail version? its confusion cos they all say Update in the text...

Thanks

Kevin

Reaction score
Ohh, okay I understand now. Well, the boxset includes iLife 09 and iWork 09. And i'm guessing that you have the 2008 editions of this. It depends if you want to upgrade iWork and iLife or not. But the link you sent me, with Snow Leopard coming out to be £25, you can definitely do a clean install with that; You won't have to install leopard first. The one that I was reffering to with my previous post apples to the "Up-to-Date" program where if you bought a mac sometime mid summer, you qualify for the Up-To-Date program which doesn't allow you to do a clean install, but its a cheaper option. Sorry for any confusion.

OP
K
Reaction score
Thanks, I presume the other link for the box set contaiing ilife and iworks will also allow a clean install with no other mac OS or disc?

Yeah i got Leopoard 10.5 with my intel mac mini so i thin it has 2008 version of ilife etc...

Thanks

kevin

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.