Buying a MBP

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP 2.53, 4gigs RAM, 250hd
I'm looking to buy a new Mac Book Pro this week. I'm a student working on my masters in architecture. I've complete one year of school with out ever feeling the need for a laptop. This year, i'm actually feeling the need. I've never had one because laptops are expensive and underpowered for what you pay for a desktop. I've worked for 6 years with out having a use for a mobile laptop, but now that i'm in school, i've just been kinda working around that.

I give up, I'm going to buy one, but i want to get something good, and I think I'd like to go Mac. I've never owned anything but PC's, but that's because I can't run autodesk software on macs. it wasn't till i started school that I saw that you can have windows on a mac. I thought that was pretty nifty, and very useful. So, this is where i am now.

My choices are:
1. buy from the apple store. Get $100 off, and a free Ipod Touch. (i have a 1st gen itouch already)

2. buy from the campus computer store, get the 15" 2.53Ghz w/ applecare + a free printer(all-in-one) for $1,738

3. buy from somewhere else. (don't know where else to go) (Fry's? MicroCenter?)

It makes sense for me to buy a mac because right now, i do 75% graphics (adobe CS3) i do my drafting (revit/autocad) super fast on my home PC 64bit.
With windows 7, i could probably do it on the mac easily also.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook pro 13" 2.26 GHz Core 2 Duo 8GB RAM 750 GB HDD
That one from the campus store is a great deal.

I thought that promotion with the free iPod for students ended? If it hasn't, you could get the same computer at $2,048.00, plus tax and plus the printer. But if that promotion is still going on (I don't know what gig touch you will get, you can always sell it on eBay and get some money back for it.

You can go to BestBuy, I think that's one of the only chains that sells Macs (prove me wrong, I have no idea.)

If that 15in from your campus store has all your needs, I would go with that.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac * 2.8 Ghz Intel Core i7 * 16GB 1333 Mhz DDR3 * 1TB HD *AMD Radeon HD 6770M 512 MB
MicroCenter sells Macs, and sometimes their prices are a LITTLE lower than other places.

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i checked microcenter. They have a good payment plan, but that is it.

I do like them a lot. Probably better than frys. I go there for my tech needs.

f-best buy. I hate that place.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15 Inch MacBook Pro. 2.4 GHz. 2GB RAM. 250GB Hardrive.
The deal at your campus store is quite good. If I were you I would with this deal because the new printer is an awsome bonus.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP Uni. 2.4/4GB/320GB/9600mGT 256MB
you should really check out the refurbished page on apples website. I got a $2000 macbook pro for $1300 a few weeks ago.

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I got the one at the campus store. I'll post the specs on the printer later.

also, my buddy next to me bought one too. count 'em, that's 2 switchers today.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.