files keep reappearing when deleted from USB stick

Reaction score
Help - My usb memory stick was used in a computer with some sort of virus.
When I opened the stick on my mac there were some files I did not recognise so I trashed them, and then securely emptied trash. HOWEVER... even though the trash seems empty if the usb stick is not attached, as soon as I plug it in the files reappear in the trash and I can't get rid of them. As soon a i remove the stick they go.
Is the only remedy to get rid of the stick?:Grimmace:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27 iMac+Thunderbolt, iMac 21,
Put the memory stick back in a PC and reformat it then put it in the Mac and reformat it again depending on whether it will be used in Macs or Macs and PCs.

Reaction score
before using any USB drive first scan with your antivirus. If any virus is affected to your USB he remove it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
late 08 macbook 2.0 4gig 320hdd10.7.3 32 gig iPhone 4s
And as for the reappearing files , empty the trash while the drive us mounted.

Reaction score
-Press and hold the mouse button on the Trash icon in the Dock. The context menu for Trash will display.
-Press and hold the Option key.
-Select Empty Trash from the context menu for Trash.
Release the Option key.

or...

1. Launch Terminal, located in the Macintosh HD > Applications > Utilities folder or search Spotlight for Terminal

2. At the Terminal prompt, type the following command exactly as written:

sudo rm -rf ~/.Trash/*

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
What (exactly, as in the file names and extensions) are the 'reappearing' files?

Just because you don't recognize them, doesn't mean that they are malicious.

OP
O
Reaction score
They seem to be locked files, with a date and time stamp which match the time my stick was in the said contaminated computer. I don't want to try and unlock them for obvious reasons.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini 14.3, 8.1 & 4.1, OS 13.5, 10.14, & 10.11 & 10.6; Macbook Pro 8.2, OS 10.12.
Do you have files on the stick that you wish to retain? If so, transfer them to another flash drive or to a CD. Then reformat the original stick as Collin Bl has suggested. Locked files can't be deleted, but reformatting will nuke them.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
They seem to be locked files, with a date and time stamp which match the time my stick was in the said contaminated computer. I don't want to try and unlock them for obvious reasons.
Again, I'll ask:

What (exactly, as in the file names and extensions) are the 'reappearing' files?
Many times, there are things like .DS_Store files that occur. These are harmless, but people get worried about them if they're not familiar with them.

You still haven't told us what version of OS X you're running, so that can play a part in what file types occur as well.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.