Good Hardware for Mac Gaming

Reaction score
I'm writing this from my recently built i7 based Windows 7 rig, but as of tomorrow I do believe I'll have purchased a 24" basic iMac along with a 13" basic MBP.

I'm doing this in an attempt to "grow up" and get away from Windows and some issues I'm having there, but at the same time it would be nice if all the games I've purchased through Steam aren't lost forever. I've looked into Crossover and am strongly considering that route (unless anyone has objections or comments?). The big issue on my mind right now is hardware.

Another reason for going to Mac is the design. At the same time, I'm not sure how well the mouse and keyboard would function for some Team Fortress 2 (or the iMac for that matter). I currently have a Razer Tarantula and Deathadder keyboard and mouse, but they clearly don't mesh well with the Mac design wise.

I really would like to purchase the wireless mouse and keyboard for the iMac, but I feel like that would instantly ruin any TF2 attempts on the computer (never had good luck with wireless and gaming in Windows anyway).

So from all of that above, here's what I'm hoping to get answered...

How well will a 24" iMac run Steam games (main concerns are specifically Team Fortress 2 and Sims 3 through crossover)?

Any decent recommendations for a mouse/keyboard?

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
Just face the facts. Gaming is not a Macs strong point. Just stick with your PC gaming rig and call it a day.

Yes you can game on a Mac, but why go through all that extra trouble to get a game to run on a Mac?

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
And trying to game through a virtual machine or an emulator when you've got an i7 with probably a drastically better video card sitting on your desk - wouldn't even try to go there. I think you'll be sorely disappointed.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP Uni. 2.4/4GB/320GB/9600mGT 256MB
yeah, def. keep the windows machine. I wouldn't object if you had a lower end rig but if you have an i7 based system just keep it. Instead of buying an iMac and a 13in MBP I'd get a 15in MBP with the discrete card, load some windows on it, and you've got a decent portable gaming computer with all of the apple functionality and design built in. That's sort of what I'm doing right now and it serves me well.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.