iBook Clamshell 3rd party charger not working at all.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Intel MacBook White, iMac G3 Strawberry, iBook Clamshell Indigo.
I got a Indigo Clamshell online without a charger. The battery does not work. I finally got a 3rd party charger which was confirmed compatible with the laptop, but its not working. The band around the charger port doesn't go green, and the computer doesn't turn on. The charger does seem to work as the LED on it is green when plugged into the mains. The head on it clicks in, but I personally feel it pokes out too much. It doesn't look like it slots in correctly, and a lot of the metal doesn't seem to fit in. I have spent a total of $140NZD on both the Clam and the charger. Is the 3rd party charger incompatible, or have I been sold a broken Clamshell?

The point: What I need is for someone to post a picture of their iBook Clamshell with a charger plugged in. I need the photo to be taken on the underside of the iBook (so you can see the charger and the bottom of the computer, which is usually face down). I want to compare it to the charger I have just bought to see if the head is too big, or if my Clam is just garbage.
Please reply urgently as there is an original Yoyo charger I have my eye on incase the 3rd party charger is the problem, and not the Clam.

Regards,
Josh

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 266ghz, 4gig, 320gigHD, MacBook, 2.4ghz,250gigHD,4gigRam
I'm thinking you may have gotten the wrong charger, perhaps the one for a Wallstreet Powerbook G3 and not for a Clamshell G3, I think they are different. I have a third party charger for my graphite clamshell that purchased off of Ebay from a California company and it fits with the outer shield all the way in. Maybe you can return the charger for the correct one, it is possible that they made a mistake and shipped the incorrect one to you.

Good luck, Rick

OP
333mhz
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 266ghz, 4gig, 320gigHD, MacBook, 2.4ghz,250gigHD,4gigRam
Now I'm confused, both list the Clamshell. Could there be a difference between early and late models? All I can say is have them send the other one, you know you can't use the one you have now. I think paying for shipping the other one back is fair.

Rick

OP
333mhz
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yes, the company has agreed to provide another charger free. In fact its already been sent.

Thank you for your help. Had you not posted that link, I would probably have bought another charger or given up on my Clamshell.

OP
333mhz
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You won't believe it. The replacement charger arrived today and its too darn small. It pains me to say it, but this Clamshell is proving to be more trouble than its worth. :(

I am very confused right now and will have to sought it out later. Maybe the Clamshell is dead, in which case the person I bought it from is a douche.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
You won't believe it. The replacement charger arrived today and its too darn small. It pains me to say it, but this Clamshell is proving to be more trouble than its worth. :(

I am very confused right now and will have to sought it out later. Maybe the Clamshell is dead, in which case the person I bought it from is a douche.

You just got to get yourself the genuine "Yo-Yo" power adapter that originally came with the iBook Clamshell...and you'll be good to go!:)

- Nick

OP
333mhz
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You just got to get yourself the genuine "Yo-Yo" power adapter that originally came with the iBook Clamshell...and you'll be good to go!:)

- Nick

Indeed. I plan to get in contact with someone in my city who is trying to get rid of one for around $35NZD. I will hopefully return both chargers for a refund. If it still doesn't work, we can conclude that the Indigo Clamshell is nothing more than an expensive paperweight. :D

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Indeed. I plan to get in contact with someone in my city who is trying to get rid of one for around $35NZD. I will hopefully return both chargers for a refund. If it still doesn't work, we can conclude that the Indigo Clamshell is nothing more than an expensive paperweight. :D

I know that you were trying to save some money purchasing a "non-Yo-Yo" adapter for your clamshell...but it looks like the "Yo-Yo is the best way to go!";)

- Nick

OP
333mhz
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
So I got a Yoyo. I plugged it in, and thank goodness. The ring lit up. The computer is brilliant and its just what I expected.

Thanks pigoo3. I won't doubt your advice ever again.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
So I got a Yoyo. I plugged it in, and thank goodness. The ring lit up. The computer is brilliant and its just what I expected.

Thanks pigoo3. I won't doubt your advice ever again.

Congrats on getting it working! Have fun with it!:)

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.