upgrade or not

Reaction score
I have a Powermac G4 upgraded to 1.6 ghz with 1.5 gig of ram and a Apple Mac G4 nVidia GeForce4 MX 64MB ADC VGA Video Card.Of course with OS Tiger.I use a apple 15inch studio display which I love.My question is I use my apple mostly for internet and email is core imaging worth upgrading my video card
for and losing my monitor.I know it would speed things up a bit.But for what I use it for speed wise I am very very happy.I am considering upgrading to leopard.At that point should I upgrade the video card.If not would it make things slower if I don't.
Suggestions appreciated thanks.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I have a Powermac G4 upgraded to 1.6 ghz with 1.5 gig of ram and a Apple Mac G4 nVidia GeForce4 MX 64MB ADC VGA Video Card.Of course with OS Tiger.I use a apple 15inch studio display which I love.My question is I use my apple mostly for internet and email is core imaging worth upgrading my video card
for and losing my monitor.I know it would speed things up a bit.But for what I use it for speed wise I am very very happy.I am considering upgrading to leopard.At that point should I upgrade the video card.If not would it make things slower if I don't.
Suggestions appreciated thanks.

The video card is about all you can upgrade (other than a 2nd or 3rd hard drive). Your CPU is pretty much maxed out, and your ram may be maxed out as well (you didn't mention the model)...so the video card is all that is left.

Depending on what model G4 you have...a Radeon 9800 Pro is a pretty "zippy" card for a G4...but it's going to cost you a bit:

Mac ATI 9800 Pro 128mb All PowerMac G4 G5 Video card ** - eBay (item 260455903895 end time Oct-28-09 09:30:48 PDT)

Hope this helps,

- Nick

Reaction score
You should ask why to many of your questions. Whats the gain going to the next OS point upgrade. Unless you need software that requires it. It all comes down to what your doing with your Mac. I check email and the forums on this Powermac 8600(G3) in OS 9.1. I love my old Macs. I have newer ones to do other stuff.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.