Multifunction printer recommendation anyone?

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
I believe my Canon MP500 is giving up the ghost. For the last couple of years, I've tried desperately to get it to print a decent photo, but it just isn't working. Everything has an orange tone to it. Originally I thought it might be bad ink, so I've replaced all of the tanks repeatedly and still I get terrible, oversaturated prints.

I've tried calibrating six ways from Sunday, both on my Mac and my Windows machines. It's just not happening and I want this printer gone.

So, what I'm looking for is a reasonably priced (less than $200) multi-function printer. Preferably one that has wired or wireless network capability (this is not a "must have", but would certainly be nice) and one that uses ink tanks. I don't want any cartridge based units that have to be replaced at $40-60/piece. Also, Lexmark is out of the question. I would consider Canon/Epson/HP and also Kodak.

My primary needs are photo printing - I might do an occasional copy or color document (most of my black and white printing happens on my LaserJet 1300). It would be nice if this unit could do faxing too, but not absolutely necessary.

I've been Googling around all day looking for solid reviews, but haven't found a good comparison. So, any suggestions would be welcome. Thanks in advance.

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
Funny my HP photosmart 2575 all-in-one is going bad also. I am also looking at getting a new printer.

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
I would go with an Epson. I have an Epson Stylus CX8400 and it hasn't failed me yet. Even after the Snow Leopard update, where as my HP printer doesn't scan now. >_>"

Only draw back is that the inks get kind of expensive, and it doesn't print 11X17" like my epson stylus photo 1400.

OP
cwa107

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I would go with an Epson. I have an Epson Stylus CX8400 and it hasn't failed me yet. Even after the Snow Leopard update, where as my HP printer doesn't scan now. >_>"

Only draw back is that the inks get kind of expensive, and it doesn't print 11X17" like my epson stylus photo 1400.

I like Epson products, although I haven't owned one in years. Thanks for the tip, I'll take a look at that model.

OP
cwa107

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
On a side note, I ended up pulling out my now nearly antique Canon i550 inkjet (this machine was purchased somewhere around 2001-2002). I can't even remember the last time I put an ink tank in this machine.

Downloaded the driver, popped in some photo paper and printed out the needed picture (it was part of a gift, so I wanted a really good print) and it came out perfectly.

So, clearly something is awry with the much newer MP500.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini 14.3, 8.1 & 4.1, OS 13.5, 10.14, & 10.11 & 10.6; Macbook Pro 8.2, OS 10.12.
In a word - Canon. No doubt you've visited here All-In-One InkjetPrinters - Office All-In-One Inkjet Printers - Photo All-In-One Inkjet Printers - Photo Fun Projects - Canon USA Consumer Products. That MP640 might well suit your purposes. You say photo printing is your primary activity, so have you considered a compact photo-specific machine? Or do you mean printing photos on to paper?

There are/were issues reported with Canon and wireless function, but I believe that's largely been resolved in the later printer models. Canon's driver website is said to be very responsive to problem reports, as well as regular driver updates.

From my experience, Canon works well with Macs - period. Quality is good, or better. Canon is accommodating of generic (a.k.a. 'parallel') ink tanks too, which helps the $$ situation.

OP
cwa107

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I am so DONE with this printer. I just wasted another dozen sheets of expensive photo paper and ink trying to get a decent photo out of this thing.

As much as I like Canon, I simply can not buy another one of their printers. Is it too much to ask that I want to open iPhoto, tell it to print a 4x6 borderless and let it do its own color matching and get a decent print without having to fuss with paper feed options and color profiles?

It's just befuddling to me that printer technology hasn't progressed in more than a decade, aside from fancy cases and exotic inks.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I haven't had any problems whatsoever with my Canon MP 620, however, I can understand your frustration in wasting photo paper and ink. To be honest, whenever we need to print up a large crop of photos we send them via email to Walgreen's and let them do it. I know that's not very elegant, but it saves us money. I just last month had Walgreens print close to 100 3x5 borderless prints for us at a cost of $26.00. No way I could do it that cheap with my own photo paper and ink supplies.

Regards.

OP
cwa107

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I ended up picking up an HP Photosmart 6350.

The trueness of the colors is better, but it's not perfect. What I am pleased with is that it has a dedicated tray for 4x6 photos and it does properly auto-select that tray. Even better, the wireless print server that's built-in uses Bonjour, so installation was a snap.

For $109, I'm pleased. I just wish it would print photos as nicely as my ancient Canon i550.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.