Installing new HD

Reaction score
I posted this in the software thread, but I don't know which forum can actually answer my question. I am thinking of buying a macbook pro and upgrading the hard drive and ram. I am pretty good with hardware, but I am completely clueless with software. If I buy a usb case for the new drive can I just carbon copy the OS and the basic programs over to the new drive? Is that a pretty easy procedure? I read something about needing to partition the new drive and that has me concerned.

I am thinking about the 13 inch 2.26 and upgrading to 4g Ram and 500 7200. Can it handle that much?

Also, what brand HD is the best in the 13 inch pro (fastest, quietest, etc)?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Please do a forum search... there are literally hundreds of questions and answers regarding the same subject that you can skim over.

Regards.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" Macbook Pro 2.26GHz 4GB 500GB, 16GB iPod Touch, Nano
This hard drive here is one of the most, if not THE most popular 500GB hard drive's for our MBP's.

It is Newegg's top selling 500GB 2.5" drive.

It operates at 5400RPM. I have this drive and I have been really happy with it.

Any specific reason you want to go the 7200RPM route? ... Honestly, it's not really worth the extra $$$.

Reaction score
Solid state drive is better than normal HD

SSD is so cool, faster for boot mac ( about 5s), but so expensive:Oops:

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.