Dashboard Won't Open

Reaction score
I was wondering if anybody could help me, I can't open dashboard at all. It has been working fine until just a few days ago when I tried to open it and nothing happened. I reset the dock and restarted the computer and it didn't change it. I've read this thread Dashboard Not Working - MacNN Forums and that didn't work. It is kind of annoying because I tend to glance at the weather a lot on it. I'm using 10.5.8. Thanks.

OP
Beleg Cuthalion
Reaction score
Thanks. The problem is though that there are no preference files for the dashboard. I'm not sure why, because it's always been working. Is it possible to reinstall the dashboard anywhere? I also remember that I was using a trial version of crossover games at the time. Could this have messed things up?

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Is Dashboard still listed in your Applications folder and what happens if you try launching it from there?

If it is not installed, then you'll need Pacifist to extract and install it from your 10.5 disc.

If it is installed:
There are preference files unless you have already deleted them since the last time Dashboard was opened. Make sure you are looking in your home folder, not MacIntosh HD.

What new widget have you installed - take a look at the list - it is in MacIntosh HD / Library / Widgets - delete what you think may be the last one or two you installed - they can always be added back in.

Log out and back in after any changes.

OP
Beleg Cuthalion
Reaction score
It was in the applications but wouldn't open. I just got it to work though, the preference file was in the wrong place for some reason. Moving it and logging out worked great. Thanks for your help.

Reaction score
hey i think this solution would work for me but i cant find the preference file, either in preferences or cache. any idea where it might be?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.