HD upgrade

Reaction score
Hi all, I am in need of some expert advice. I am REALLY new to the Mac world and having a hard time deciphering what exactly I need to do to install a larger hard drive and keep all the contents of the old one. I have a Macbook Intel core 2 duo with a 60 gig and im going to a 250 gig. I found the walkthrough on ifixit.com for the actual changing of the drives but I am seriously confused as to how I can clone the drive and put it on the new one. Been a PC guy for a long time so I think I may be making this harder than it needs to be.

I have read dozens of threads on this but people are all over the place as to the best way to do it. So I thought I would post what I have in my possession and see what you guys have to say.

So heres what I have:

-Macbook with Snow Leopard installed with nonfunctioning optical drive (getting new one with new hard drive though)

-The new 250gig HD

-750gig external drive (USB only, no Firewire and its the desktop size drive not the laptop size)

-The the OS X 10.5 OEM disks and the new Snow Leopard disk.

-Carbon Copy Cloner downloaded

Reaction score
You could use Time Machine, I think that's the easiest way.
Just backup on your ext.
Install the new HDD, then install OSX, and then restore from the TM backup.

There are other ways, but IMO this is the easiest one.
BTW I'm far from an expert so get more opinions...;D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 500GB hard drive 4GB ram PowerMac G5 Dual 2.2GHz Mirrored 500GB HDD, Mac Mini, and more
IMO (every one has opinions lol)

Slap your new drive in an external enclosure usb (12$ at local micro center or Fry's) is fine for the new mac books..

download SuperDuper
SuperDuper!

clone the current drive to the new drive boot up while its still external test every thing out ... make sure its ok .. shut down slap the new drive in your mac book and you are ready to go ..

Much faster than backing up installing and migrating.. and easier..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
late 08 macbook 2.0 4gig 320hdd10.7.3 32 gig iPhone 4s
I agree with csegeek only I prefer CC to superduper. Which the op already has.

It's a piece of cake.

OP
A
Reaction score
Ok thanks for the pointers. Ill give it a try and hope I dont brick this thing :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.